Is it bad to give a dog table scraps? why?

we give our dog little pieces of food every now and then, or she takes stuff from the baby whenever she is not paying attention. I remember growing up, as a kid we fed our dogs all the left over scraps and they were fine...

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Yes it is bad for a number of reasons. Number one reason being their healt. Dogs have very different nutritional needs from humans. A lot of the stuff in table foods can be very bad for animals in general. They can have cooked plain meat, veggies, and some cheeses. A dog that is being fed table food on top of their normal diet also at a huge risk of obesity. And they are running o risk not wanting to eat their food. Behavior is also a very good reason to steer clear from table foods. & the risk of an unhealthy digestive system causing vomoting, diarrhea and even pancreatitis.
    Just a few food items to stay away from, chocolate,onions, grapes, and turkey. You can search for more poisoness foods for dogs.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There are plenty of "table scraps" that are fine for dogs. Chicken, beef, veggies, etc, as long as they are not really salty or heavily seasoned and of course nothing that is dangerous for dogs (you can look online for lists on toxic foods for pets). My Boxer gets plenty of healthy people food almost daily. However, he is not allowed to beg, and he NEVER tries to steal food from anyone because he knows better and was trained to wait until he is given something to eat.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes, mainly because there are things in our food that is NOT good for them. And they can become overweight from the extra calories, which leads to a lot of bad things.

With that said, it's very hard to have kids, plus a dog, and have it be an average weight. I would try and only feed the dog it's own food. Make sure your kids are not giving the dog their food. Discipline the dog so it does not sit in front of the kids waiting for bits and pieces.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• In most cases I've seen, it's bad. Every table fed dog I know is overweight. Our dogs are not allowed table food and we have 3 kids. The most they get is the crumbs that fall to the floor--and that's if they can get to them before I sweep them up! They get dog food, treats, and bones. There's no need for table scraps.

I heard someplace that 2 extra pounds on a dog is like 10 or 20 extra pounds on a human...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• healthwise, i think it's not the best food they can eat. but more from a behavioral standpoint, it encourages begging. the dog will learn that when people eat, they get food too.
    personally, there is nothing i hate more than a dog that begs. we have taught our dog to lay in an area away from the table while we are eating. as a result she RARELY begs (except from my FIL who breaks our rules and it pisses me off) and never eats off the counter.
    IUchick23

Answer by IUchick23 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i have always given my dogs table scraps..but only stuf that is good for them..i searched online one day all the toxic foods, and i was sooo suprised..i had no idea that broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, raw onions were all toxic to them..i felt so horrible...cuz ive always given my dos broccoli and cauliflower...OOOOPS..so yaa..do your research first...ohh and grapes too..i used to have a dog that LOOOOVED grapes..little did i know they werent good for her..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My mom said that ALMONDS are also toxic to dogs! I have a very obese 7 year old female collie who I have to STOP feeding table scraps! She is spayed, and I've heard that that causes obesity, but she is spoiled rotten and needs to be cut back. So as hard as it will be, I have to stop giving her table scraps for her own good.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Very very bad. Dogs are not used to all the stuff we put in our foods. For example seasonings or other stuff. One the worst things to feed a dog are onions. Even if they are cooked. Their stomachs can not handle them. Also it can cause other intestinal problems. And I don't think you want your dog to be on prescription dog food. Or cause bloat or intestines twisting. Since that is the most common side effect for large breeds.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We give our dogs all kinds of table scraps and they never have any problem digesting them. Our dogs eat just about anything we eat, they always have! We cook with onions all the time, and our dogs have eaten things with onions in them and have NEVER had problems with them. The only thing we don't give our dogs is chocolate.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't give our dogs table scraps b/c I prefer their bm's to remain firm and easy to pass. Dog's digestive systems can be upset by the smallest of things, unless they are a big burley yard dog, that is used to eating everything like a billy goat. LOL

I occassionally flavor my dogs regular food with the small scraps of egg that is left from my son's plate, but never all the leftovers. That would keep my dogs poo'ing all over the place. Their colon and digestive health is important to us. Also, we clean up after our dogs and i'm aware of what messes their colon.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009