Should I bring my daughter to my second baby shower?

My mother-in-law is throwing me a baby shower now that I'm expecting our second child, a boy. My DD is 2 1/2 and ever since we told her about her little brother, she's acted jealous - regressing from potty training, claiming his gifts for her own, acting like a baby every time the subject comes up. It's normal and we're being supportive but I'm wondering if I should leave her with my husband during the shower. If I bring her, won't she be jealous of all the gifts for her brother? Why SHOULD I bring her? (BTW - I'm getting A LOT of pressure from MIL to bring DD.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would include her, she will be the big sister, and maybe include a Big Sister cake.. Get one of those tiny cakes and put her name on it and maybe a little gift that she can show the baby when it's here... I would try to include her in as much as possible... It might make the transition easier...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i would include her and ask people to bring wishing well gifts for her instead of the baby. or gifts for the baby that will be for her to use like books, tub toys, spoons for her to help with feeding, etc...have a shower cake with a character she likes on it and include some balloons with that character too. make sure most people know how she feels in hopes they will fuss over her being a new sister like they'd fuss over you. i am on my third and we have taken our oldest son to both ultrasounds and the tech gave himhis own pics of the babies. i always ask him to be my helper bc he is the big one and the babies are too small to help he eats it up. he did the bed wetting thing too, it will pass. now my two boys are inseparable and the oldest cant wait for his new brother.
    NdJc0407

Answer by NdJc0407 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• you should refer to the baby as HER baby...thats what i did, and my DD's have been to my baby showers. i think you SHOULD include her...it isnt all about you, its about her too..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Have a big sister party take her for mommy and me time or since mil wants her there maybe grandma and her time. What ever it is make it a big deal for her helping opening presents and all since she is the big sister. She will regress but all is normal
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm having the same problem. I think you should include her. Maybe even get her a little gift so she feels more at ease at the shower. Even a few little things from the dollar store so she feels like shes getting things too.
    Anonymous

• I would definately bring her. You need to include her and let her know that no matter what she will always be your baby girl. Keep reminding her that just because she will have a brother doesn't mean you will love her any less. Also, she needs to get use to the idea that she is not the only one who will be getting gifts. does she expect gifts when she goes to other people's birthday parties? its the same idea. and i would want her to understand that she doesn't have to get something everytime that someone else does.

Have her help open presents and make a big deal about helping you and being a big sister. eventually she will take pride in that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Aren't you lucky having a second shower! So jealous! I would bring her, and have a few small gifts for her to open, big sister gifts, maybe some books she can read to him. A dvd about being a big sister. I think even Elmo has a dvd about a new baby coming. If you exclude her I think it will hurt her, and make her regress into the baby stage more. You need to get her happy about becoming a big sister. All the fun she can have with the baby. You can have tshirts made on ebay, 'i'm the big Sister to the baby in mommys belly' to 'mommy little helper' You can get her her own doll she can practice changing the babies diaper and feeding the baby. My 23 month old sits on my lap and feeds his 4 month old sister. He holds books up to her and bables. And will kiss her head if she starts to cry. Granted there were and still are the few times he does not like her to be in my arms and will say mommy put baby down, or no more baby, my momy
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Bring her. She will feel special being the only child there. Make a fuss of her. If anyone gives stuffed animals, just tell her they are for her. The baby won't know! Put the bows on her head! Let her help you open the presents. Give her a job like picking out what present to open next.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My best friend had a shower and brought her ds who was completely jealous. he threw gifts across the room fussed and cried the whole time, even tho he recieved a bunch of presents for himself. it really made the day stressful and not fun for anyone... i would really think about this one.. and good luck
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009