Has anyone had a child with hives?

My 19 month old has had hives for the past three days. They came after a fever of 101.7 (under the arm temp) and even though they cause him no pain they look horrible. They leave after a few hours but today they stayed all day. We have given him Benadryl and figured out that it must have something to do with the high pollen count seeing as how nothing else has changed around him but that. He also has a runny nose and cough and he sneezes a lot. I would say it's allergies but that tempature keeps throwing me off. I don't want to do to a doctor if I can help it but do I need too?? Any advice or suggestions would be welcome! Thanks

Grantsmom08

Asked by Grantsmom08 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Health

• Are you giving him something for the fever. Was the actual temp under arm 101.7 . could it be a bug bite of some kind. It is so hard to know what to do, but you might want to call the dr. and touch base with him since it has been 3 days. Let me know how things turn out. Mary
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I did give him something for the fever, the temp was 101.7 under his arm so I know it's really at least 2 degrees higher. And no bug bites. We looked. His dad took him out into a field one night before all this and that's why we think it's allergies. but it still doesn't explain the tempature. He hasn't had a temp since then but I wonder about it. We don't have insurance so that's why I'm hesitant about seeing a doctor. I've read that if he is acting ok but it remains for a week then I need to take him in. Thank you for answering! I'll try and let you know how it turns out.
    Grantsmom08

Answer by Grantsmom08 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• One of mine had hives. I did give Benedryl also. But he was so uncomfortable that I could not bare to let him wait it out. His were actually crawling and moving around all over his body. It was wild. I took him to the Dr. and he gave something stronger and just for hives. He said I could hold onto it and keep it in my cabinet just in case we ever had the problem again. It was gone pretty much right away. I would call and tell them his symptoms ...speak to the Dr. himself or the nurse and tell them you are waiting it out....see what they say.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009