When can you start to give your child baby cereal ?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 9:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started earlier than 4 months with my son. He was consuming way too much formula and was spitting up a lot since he was eating a lot. So I started giving him cereal to thicken it so he would last a little longer between feedings. I think he was around 3-4 months when we started doing this. And I would make the cereal with formula, not water. I would make a regular bottle, then take some of the formula out and mix it into the cereal to whatever consistency I wanted.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think they say 4 mo, although there are those who will say 6 mo. We tried at 4 mo but our DD still had the reflex to spit out the spoon, so she really didn't start until 5 mo. If they just spit out the food, they're not ready for it.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No im actually talking about to mix it with the baby formula ... is that wrong ?
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 9:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• AAP recommends waiting until the baby is 6 months old. Others will tell you to go ahead and start on iron-fortified cereal at 4 months old if the baby seems developmentally ready and interested. I waited until my son was 6 months old to try, but he didn't want to start until he was over 8 months old. It really depends on the baby I think.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• people give there babies cereal at birth, because when i had my son his doctor told me to put some cereal in his milk i did it for like 3 weeks he start gaining too much weight no its not wrong to mix cereal in ya babies milk thats the best way to do it and i would say about 4 months is fine to start.
    paige87

Answer by paige87 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Most people start around 4 months, I started all my kids at 1 month.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The only reason drs have people add cereal to a bottle is for babies with GERD or if they are severely underweight. It could also hinder their ability to take cereal from a spoon in the future. Also babies are not internally ready to digest cereal until somewhere between 4-6 months. It hurt's their little bellies and hurts them to poop it out.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I started giving my daughter baby oatmeal at like 6 months. I would try to mix the oatmeal with formula but she wouldn't eat it, I guess that's because i was breast feeding. I tried mixing it with a tiny bit of juice and water and she loved it.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2009