Another pregnancy question

I went to the doctor Thursday and had an ultrasound 4 weeks before to look at the baby's heart. The doctor told me they found a spot on his heart but didnt seem too concerned about it. He said it raises my chances of him being born with down syndrome just slightly. I already took the down syndrome test and it was negative and his heart beat was strong and he's very active. Should I be concerned. I am sure my doctor just has to tell me this but he said I really shouldn't worry about it. What do you guys think?

sheenar

Asked by sheenar at 9:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think that regardless of the results - just focus on this baby inside you.... you can worry & worry & worry, but simple fact is, that in the end the result is out of your control.... dont drive yourself nuts though.... love your child regardless & just keep an open mind that it could happen & just what steps you need to start taking.....good luck.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• get another doctors opinion if your worried.. Also prayer could help. Just remember you are going to love that baby no matter what.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You really shouldn't worry. That's your baby either way. It's something you'll have to deal with later. At your next ultrasound you will know more. Until then I would just sit back and relax, and enjoy the excitement now =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes I would wait for the next ultrasound, to make sure. If they still see something odd, they should offer an amnio to be certain, if the see something and dont offer, I would ask. But it is up to you, because an amnio has certain risks too. Was the downs syndrome test you are talking about the AFP bloodwork? Other than the 20 week u/s when they measure the neck that is the only other one I can think of. GL, and try not to worry untill you have something solid to worry about, and ask alot of follow up questions with your Dr.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yeah they took bloodwork a while back, I just really want him to be happy and healthy and I will love him no matter what. He said he would do another ultrasound when I reached my third trimester which is only about a month a way. I am sure he will be fine, he said my chances were very slim.
    sheenar

Answer by sheenar at 10:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm 30 weeks. At my 20 week u/s, they found an echogenic focus (calcium deposit) on my baby's heart, is this what you are referring to? I was also told NOT to worry, that this finding alone does NOT increase my 1 in 18,000 chance of having a baby with DS, that this does NOT effect the functionality of my baby's heart & that it may disappear before or after birth. An old friend from HS is in maternal-fetal medicine & gave me a 2nd opinion & said the same exact things. My OB doesn't think any further testing is necessary. He said that this finding is common & that this alone is not a cause for concern regarding DS or heart functionality. HTH :)
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 2:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2009