Should I go back to work and put my son in day care?

I already do not trust the day cares in my area and on top of that, they cost more a month than my rent does! But I have a great job that I could stay with. On the flip side, if I don't put my son in day care and quit my job, I would be able to take online college courses to a college I've already been accepted to. Any suggestions???

MichelleGill

Asked by MichelleGill at 10:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Welllll I think that if you truely dont trust any of the daycares in your area that maybe you should take some time off and get some online classes. more schooling never hurts ; ]
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 10:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree. I would do online school.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• The issue would be with money and if I would be able to pay the bills. Without my income we'd be short on rent, and my husband JUST got a jump after all the lay offs so we're just hoping that lasts.
    MichelleGill

Answer by MichelleGill at 10:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Id do both. Keep your job and go to school online at night or weekends. Its so hard to find a job. And Im a single mom and I went to school and worked fulltime with 2 kids. Do what you gotta do to better your families life in the long run. I hate my baby being in daycare... I found a home daycare I liked better.
    Anonymous

• I mean I hated b/c, shes in pre k now. But i went through a few daycares. And my friend started her own home child care, so I had put her there. But, look around and ask ppl about the daycares. Nothing is ever gonna be good enough... thats how I was with daycares. But hopefully it works out. And you seem level headed so, you will make a great choice. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• What is going to make you the happiest in the long run? What do you think is best for your son? If you don't trust the daycare I definitely wouldn't take him. Look for a different daycare if you decide to work. I would personally do some school because it will give you more choices in the future. Have you thought about working from home to supplement your income so you can go to school, and be with your son. That is what I would do. I run a business from home so I can be with my kids, and I plan on starting online classes again next semester. If that is what you want to do there are a lot of options, just be sure to do your research. Good luck! Here is my website if you would like an idea for a business http://AmmyWilkins.MyWorldMoms.com
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 11:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• What if I told you that I found a way to stay home and get paid? Would you be interested? It is possible to supplement or even replace your current income. I stay home with my 4 kids, that's right I said 4! I was feeling bad watching my husband try to support our family. So I found a 100% “GREEN” wellness company. I'm not saying I make millions, but I am contributing and I'm not letting strangers raise my kids. If you are motivated and serious, go to my website www.familiesrok.synthasite.com. Then we can discuss all the details over an appointment. This economy is a nightmare its true, but this could be your solution. I have 2 business partners that are doing this and doing the online college courses. So it is doable. Let me know if you are interested. I only work about 15 hours a week so there's not too much time spent.
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 1:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can NEVER get these years back with your son. NEVER. This is the time in his life when he loves being around you. This is a time when he has all the "firsts." There is pleanty of time for him to interact with other people, go to school, or learn. You never know how much time you REALLY have with your children.

In addition, if you stay with your job, you will not have the time to commit to furthering your degree and to be a mother. If you quit, you can work on your degree when he is sleeping or hanging out with Grandma/Dad/other trusted person.

What is REALLY in the best interest of your son? Being with strangers all day who are overwhelmed with the amount of children they 'care' for, or being with a loving, nurturing Mother? Only you can meet his emotional and psychological needs. You can't hire that.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Get this book as a present to you and your son for Mother's Day In Praise of Stay-At-Home Moms

Check out this web site: http://www.drlaura.com/main/

You will never regret being there for him. You WILL regret NOT being there. Best of luck!

squish

Answer by squish at 1:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Tough choice. Squish has a point that you can't get the time back. Although personally...our rule was that a first didn't happen unless we were there for it. BOTH of us. And to be honest...I don't remember any of the firsts, nearly a decade down the line.

And actually, you CAN regret not being there if your not working means long term financial ills for the family. I've never met a kid who appreciated mom staying home if it meant they were poor at best, homeless at worst. (DH was one of those kids.)

The real question is whether you can afford it. Only you know for sure.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009