What are some ways to help depression/anxiety w/o meds?

I've been really stressed out lately. My hair is falling out. I have mini panic attacks when I go into public. I cry all the time. I recently got a new job, but I still feel like my life is out of control. I feel like I'm never going to get back on my feet. My relationship seems to be working & falling apart at the same time. I am so depressed & my anxiety is getting worse. My insurance is expired & I can't go to the doc or afford any medication that could be prescribed. I have Zoloft, but I quit taking it a while back & I don't have a full bottle anymore and I want to take it the right way, but I can't. I'm freaking out. I honestly don't have anyone I can talk to. What are some ways I can relax & focus my mind? All I can do is drink & smoke cigarettes to help, but I am tired of that. My child is the only thing I care about in the world. I need advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Health

• most doctor's offices have samples of medicines, you can explain your situation and see if they can give you a bunch of samples to take.

some of the more natural things you can do are take st johns wort (not if you're preggo though), take a good b-complex vitamin, fish oils, and get lots of sunlight for vitamin d. exercise is a fantastic way to boost mood, especially if you do it outside, then you get the vit d, the endorphines, and the natural feeling of well-being. just take your child out for a walk everyday. also make sure to make some time for you, take a nice bubble bath, get your nails done, read a good book, whatever helps you relax
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Massage,yoga,swimming helps.
    Natural herb/vitamin supplements help.
    Eating good,staying hydrated.
    Change things on you like hair color,outfits,nails getting done can help.
    If your overweight this can affect your mood.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine found that prescriptions medications just weren't for her-- she has depression. She ensures she gets about 1 hour of medium exercise every day, and take fish oil on a regular basis.

I've heard that St. John's wort has been proven to assist with dysthymic disorder, which is a low grade form of depression that lasts for a long time-- usually years.

It sounds like you have a combination of depression and anxiety. You might want to contact your local university, where they have psychologists and psychiatrists in training, who might be able to help you head in the right direction for much less than a typical doctor's appointment.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have never been on meds for depression, but I have fought it a few times.

I reccommend EXCERCISE. I know its hard to get into, but taking that time for you is really great. it boosts your energy level and you will feel better about yourself. For me it helps if I do more. I have to keep myself busy. Cleaning, taking walks, etc. I use to get out and just drive sometimes. Also, sometimes it helps to be around people even if you can't talk to them.

I wish I had more advice for you. I do know that some psychologists use a sliding pay scale based on your income. You may want to look into that.

Good Luck! I know it can be really hard. I can't imagine fighting it while trying to raise my baby.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would get a mood chart, the one I'm giving you a link to should be free if you only order one at a time (get the six month one). It's for those with Bipolar Disorder but it's very effective tool for keeping track of imbalances of varying kinds, IMO.
    href="http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Ecommerce/2083369332?FOLDER=1000&store_id=1121">http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Ecommerce/2083369332?FOLDER=1000&store_id=1121
    Start keeping track of your general mood, depression or balanced mood. There are other spaces on the chart to fill in life events, alchohol consumtion, etc. I would start keep detailed notes so you can figure out situations that are triggering for you, or things that are effective in managing your symptoms. PM me if you have more questions, I think I may have some more hints, GL!
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• sorry here's the link something went screwy:

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Ecommerce/2083369332?FOLDER=1000&store_id=1121
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009