• In the Spotlight:

Stereotypes - which ones have you been raised with and hold onto even now

My DH, BFF and I were in our nation's capital today enjoying the beautiful weather and the Cherry Blossom Festival with my 2 girls and we were enjoying the diversity of the crowds. We brought along a picnic lunch and was spreading our blanket when we over heard the folks not to far from where we were setting up say "I wonder if they (referring to us, because we were the only colored ones in that particular area at the time) brought fried chicken and 40's".

We ignored them and continued to enjoy our day but the comment they made bothered my 10yr old, therefore it bothered me. I thought it was funny they would think that about us because our group consist of my DH who is Asian, BFF who is biracial, myself who is biracial and my girls which one looks completely white.

Are there things about other races you were told about when you were young that you still secretly think is true about them?

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No. My grandma on my moms side is prob one of the MOST racist women in the world!! It embarrassed my mom growing up and dealing with that and so growing up if me or my brother ever said anything or asked what something meant that was racist she would tell us that 'people who feel inferrior to those around them say things like that"
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• *rubbing hands together*

I can't WAIT to hear the answers in this one!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• well, certain members of my immediate family are very racist. . .

but the only stereotype I've got is: men don't do housework!

Somebody prove me wrong! Please!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Why dont you answer?
    Anonymous

• Uhh.....Asians are smart........and italians have a temper.....and......mormon missionaries are annoying. I guess. I don't know, I feel a little weird answering this; but with the way you sounded when you asked this, it seemed you kinda need an answer of some sort.
    I know what its like. My DH is italian and I am AK native and we get comments from people that are full AK native, and my husband gets mean looks when we are in a crowded place where we live. Because, where we live is full of natives. We went to a conference of and people started making very rude remarks about "our kind" is marrying white people and white people don't belong...I was getting very upset with these remarks and wanted to leave so badly; but we didn't.
    Anonymous

• We are American Indian, my Dad always said the Indian had it made until the white man came along.
    Indian man hunted and fished all day. Indian women do all the work. White man came, now Indian man have to work all day.
    Anonymous

• I had a teacher (who taught me from 7th - 12th) who told me that white people will never give you credit for ANYTHING I do and that I will always have to work harder for what I want. I think it's because it happened to him and he saw times where it was happening to me when I was competing in school activities and tests (and other things). I loved him like a father though.

I had a rough time growing up in an PW neighborhood until I moved to Baltimore at the age of 11, but my family always taught me to be a good person and that it will show past the stereotypes and that once people get to know me, they'll feel silly about their ignorant thoughts.

As far as stereotypes though, I never really had any....I try not to assume things about people.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• LadyChamp, you're from B-MORE!?!? I am too!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• That's silly. I'm white (actually, more of a peachy color) and I like fried chicken. I don't know what 40's are though. Seriously, who doesn't like fried chicken?

I don't know if I have any stereotypes. I don't think of race or ethnicity enough I guess.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• For me it was that all black people could dance and that all white women had flat butts. hahaha I don't believe them because my BIL proved the whole dance theory out the window at my sister's wedding. I will never forget watching my new BIL dance to the music and when they mixed in a new song he STOPPED in mid clap and everything thought about his next move and carried on off beat. Our whole family said "where did Tonya dig this fool up from?" hahaha The other I knew was false when I met my good friend and co-worker and her butt was bigger than mine. I instantly said "I knew it! White girls can have big butts".
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009