how is this offensive?

i work as a cashier at kmart and on the counters by the registers we have these dvd's about Obama. This lady walked up today and told me that having those there really offended her and i said i have no control over what is up here. she practically yelled i know but those really offend me. can someone please tell me how they are so offensive since he is the president and will be for the next 4 years.

lmaines22

Asked by lmaines22 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• was it a negative dvd about obama?
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 10:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm guessing she's not an Obama supporter, I couldn't hazard a guess why. If she doesn't like his policies, I get that, but there's no need to go all crazy on a kmart clerk. She could try going all crazy on her state reps, that would be a better idea.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It makes no sense that a dvd about anybody would be offensive really. There are dvds about every leader in history good, bad or ugly. It's called being informed and THAT lady probably coulda used a little education....
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i dont think so. i havent looked at it but the cover has him on it and his name and little sentences from his speaches. i would guess its about his campaign and how he got elected but im not sure. it doesnt look negative
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• LOL its not at all. Maybe she's going through menopause or something. I honestly would've giggled. I can't work with the public like that, some thing that they say are just hilarious haha.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i dunno... i'm not an obama supp. but thats kind of dumb...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Who knows why she was offended.

I would have handled the situtation like this.
    I'm sorry you find that offensive ma'am. You know I get so mad myself when I see something that I find offensive. You just have to wonder about people. I will let my manager know someone was offended by this.

She would have felt better because she was acknowledged and it at least appeared you agreed and would speak to the boss. For your part, it didn't matter what side of the arguement you were on because your response could work both ways, offended or not. AND the "you just have to wonder about people" could have referred to HER!

My Granddaddy used to say "it is all in the handling". There is a kernal of truth there.

I'm sorry you got yelled at. I am not an Obama supporter, but I'm not going to go nuts over a dvd. Maybe she had dementia??
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• She didn't get a tax return!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• People can get offended by anything. I would have told her that her shirt offended you!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You should have said, "Ma am, those Snicker candy bars offend me, I just try to stop it by buying and eating them all.. maybe you should try that!" LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2009