Tooth Brushing

My daughter is 3 next month, and she is so independent she won't even let me help her brush her teeth at night!! Any ideas on how to get her to let me help. I'm worried that she is not getting her teeth clean enough! When should a child start brushing their teeth independently??

Asked by pamelajqs at 11:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You need to spot check them and do a follow up cleaning for YEARS - even as late as 8 years old. Call your dentist, explain what is going on and see if you can stop in to have him flat out tell her that she MUST let you brush them too. Some kids will listen to an outside authority.

Another idea is to get the tooth dye - little tablets or mouth rinse that dye the dirt. Then she is to brush her teeth until all the color is gone. That might make it more fun for her and if it's all gone, you'll know they are clean.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We have a battery powered spinning toothbrush. It's Go Diego Go! Jace is pretty independent too. He usually will let me do it first on him and then he gets to do it next. I like the spinning ones because when he won't let me do it, I think it cleans better than a traditional one.

Answer by JacesMommy627 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• very good idea jacesmommy, thanks for the tip!!

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We have a deal in my house. DS gets to do his own in the morning but a parent has to do it at night. After I brush them I give him the brush and ask him to get any bits I missed which makes him feel that I need his help. In the morning we have a competition to see who can brush their teeth longest and I narrate while I brush mine, saying things like "That's the top right clean so I'll do the bottom right now. Oh, gotta get the front ones!" He does a pretty good job by himself now.

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We started at three also, he wouldnt let me eather.. He always said "it hurts, you tickle".. So i would always say let me see.. Then i would go to town on him.. LOL PLUS i would say his breath stunck and he needs to try agian, that works well.. Now he always askz if he needs to do it agian.. LOL

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well about these colored tooth tablets, where can I find them and are they safe for a 3 year old??

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009