Chihuahuas

How many out there have a chihuahua? I do, and I find mine very needy, I feel like I have 2 children! Argh. Sometimes she makes me very upset... she doesn't get along very well with my daughter either. Anybody else have that problem?

pamelajqs

Asked by pamelajqs at 11:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pets

• i have one right now i'm rehoming. she is not needy just hard to potty train and she screams like she is being killed when i put her out or in her crate. i totally hate it. i would make sure that you discipline the dog with your daughter by touching it whenever it does something bad and stopping her emotion. make a claw with your hand and touch her neck. pack leaders do that to show them who is boss. so you have to show it it is boss. otherwise your going to get a dog that develops small dog syndrome. you can read about it online. if she is not getting alone with your daughter she may not have a big bite would for sure eventually bite your daughter. as small dogs tend to bite more due to small dog syndrome. good luck.. i only hope i can recope my vets bills from this annoying dog.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ack, i don't, i hate chihuahuas lol. small and yappy, no thanks! i have 4 dogs at the moment (one is a stray i'm trying to find his home) and they are all big dogs!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a chi/rat terrier mix, and he is VERY needy, and he pouts if you don't pay attention to him, its pretty funny actually.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have one and he is my baby I love him like one of my kids! I know its wierd but he is such a cutie and I love him
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have one , she isn't really that needy, or hasn't been since she adopted us. She is, however, very food-finicky, and will sit and stare and shake while we are eating. But I ignore her. She does irritate me that she won't go out when it's cold. Won't wear her sweaters (rolls out of them then tries to bury them), then she goes and poops in the guest room. And we have to crate her at night because if we don't we wake up with her curled up in either my or my husband's crotch, and that makes us nuts. Ever tried to sleep with a 6 lb Chihuahua practically in your underwear with you? Ugh.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm not a good person to ask since I dislike chihuahuas, had a couple bad experiences with them being snarky or vicious to my children when the kids were small. I personally wouldn't keep a dog that didn't get along with my child, You didn't say HOW they interact, but if the dog is the least bit snappy or growly I'd find a nice home for him and either wait till your daughter gets older, or get a different breed of dog.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have a chihuahua that we gave my son who has Asperger's and he has been a God - send. He never once has been nippy or snappy. And, believe it or not, we've only heard him bark 3 times ever. He's just precious. I think their personalities go back to their parents and how the breeder handled them before they're bought.
    Pomeranians are a great choice too. They sooo love their "person,"
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thank you so much ladies!!! Very helpful answers. I just wanted to know if this was a common problem. My chihuahua has not bit my child, but she doesn't like when my daughter tries to play with her, she will growl, but in the 10 months that we have had her she has not snapped or bitten her, THANK GOD!!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009