Any potty training advice for a discouraged mom and son?

My son is almost two years old, and shows little if not any interest in potty training, however he very much enjoys his independence in almost every other way. decided to go for the condensed version (1-3) days which left us both frustrated and no more closer to potty trained. I'm just not sure where to go from here. To quit altogether would seem to much like givin up, but to continue seems pointless when when were both so discouraged (mom and son).
mysweetie623

mysweetie623

Asked by mysweetie623 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He probably just is not ready. I did not push either of my kids till about a month before their third birthday. they both trained quickly.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• At 2, he is still pretty young mom. Just keep working with him. Show him the potty, take him with you and let him sit on it when you do. Try to keep it interesting without threatening to him. If you push, it will seem threatening. There is an awesome book I bought for my girls and now my grandbabie, "Once Upon a Potty" for girls or boys. It's so funny and cute! But don't get discouraged and don't make it seem bad to him, keep it positive!! Also with little boys, I hear it sometimes works to put a sticker in the bottom, or a bulls eye or something to aim at, LOL! Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree with the first post ... he may just not be ready. Worst thing you can do is try to push it on him when he isn't ready. Believe me I know. When my son was about to turn 2 I tried to get him started and he just refused but I kept at it and honestly made him scared of the potty. I felt horrible so I backed off for a good while. He turned 3 in Feb and that month I started potty training again. He is doing great. Still has accidents but is not refusing anymore. I just need to remind him and keep on him.. he is still scared to poop on the potty but we are working on it and I think we are coming along fine. Give him time you will start to be able to read him better when he has to go and then you wil know he is ready.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• don't push it. buy a potty and play pretend. bring him to the bathroom when you go and see if he wants to pretend to go to.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My 1st child was potty trained at 10-months-old. My 2nd and 3rd children after they were a different story. They didn't want to be on the potty chair at all. I finally made them sit on the potty chair whenever I needed to use the toilet. Eventually, they became used to that. Somehow, they made the connection that they needed were suppose to actually use the potty chair. Now, my 3rd child is almost 2 1/2. He does well until I put underwear. Then it is, as if, he has forgotten how to use the potty chair. Don't give up. It is worth it. Personally, I can't wait until it is warmer. I will teach my ds how to pee on a tree. Boys always love to do that.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• (Copied from the American Academy of Pediatrics)
    "There is no set age at which toilet training should begin. The right time depends on your child's physical and psychological development. Children younger than 12 months have no control over bladder or bowel movements and little control for 6 months or so after that. Between 18 and 24 months, children often start to show signs of being ready, but some children may not be ready until 30 months or older.

Your child must also be emotionally ready. He needs to be willing, not fighting you or showing signs of fear. If your child resists strongly, it is best to wait for a while. "

There's more but it wouldn't fit here. Paste this to see the rest of it. http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_ToiletTrain.htm

I also read somewhere that 27 months was the soonest to start with boys. They'll do it when they are ready. Good luck, though.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Boys tend to be a little later than girls. I do mine in the summer, so that I can have them run around naked from the waist down. They seem to remember to go better, if they aren't wearing underwear or pants. Then, once they get used to it, I start with underwear, and then move on to pants (or shorts) as well. My first i potty trained at 33 months, the second I plan on doing it next summer, when he'll be 30 months in May.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My babysitter (who has been doing this for 30 years) said boys aren't as interested as girls at 2. Waiting until closer to 3 is often better. Let me tell you SUMMERTIME! My boy didn't want to do it. If I put underwear on him, he peed and pooped in them. So, the underwear were out the window! The boy wore nothing but too big t-shirts for a month (don't want the whole world to see his peepee). We also peed outside a lot. (He still likes to do it on occasion.) My mother in law was mortified, but it worked.
    We had a couple of relapses after two months of doing great. Even almost a year later...accidents happen.
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 4:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009