feeding a newborn....

im not breast feeding... but was wondering if any ladies woke their newborn up for feedings if they were not awake within four hours?....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• by the way my baby girl is five days old...
    Anonymous

• i would wake her up. babies need constant nutrition to stay healthy, and if she's sluggish or not waking up often enough, its probably not a good thing. most babies should not sleep through the night until they are at least several months old
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yeah, some people will say that the babies have been sleeping through the night since they were 2 weeks old. While I believe them, I don't think it's a good idea. My daughter ate every 2.5-3.5 hours for the first 3 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• At this age I wouldnt go more than 4 hours for sure. Eventually you can. Theyre tummies can only hold em for about 2 right now. Dont just pick her up and stuff the bottle in her mouth though, wake her slowly.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 12:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• That is CRAZY! Let that baby sleep. If she is hungry she will wake up and let you know it.
    Both of my babies have only woke once per night from the time they came home. YOU need your sleep too! Formula babies generally sleep better at first because they are getting enough in their bellies. My girl is 7 weeks old and she has slept through the night several times. That is the goal...to get them to sleep through the night. You have to establish that night time is for sleeping, not waking up. (Of course, I am awake at 4am, can't sleep myself. The baby is sleeping like a log!)
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 4:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sorry, I forgot. I do make sure they have a full belly before I go to bed. The Baby Whisperer calls it a twilight feeding. This helps them sleep through the night.
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 4:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• She'll wake up when she's hungry. Unless the doctor has told you to wake her for some reason, let her sleep.

Twilight feeds don't work for everyone, just so you know. They backfired for every single one of my kids! They actually work up MORE!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Formula babies generally sleep better at first because they are getting enough in their bellies.

It's because the formula is harder to digest. Newborns are very sleepy & shouldn't be left too long without feeding-especially if they are a little jaundice. You want that billirubin to be flushed out-by feedings. Also, why feed a hysterical, starving baby. Watch for hunger cues-even while they nap like sucking on their hand or being restless then feed them and put them back to sleep.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I always woke them during the day and let them sleep at night. My son is 4 weeks and I will wake him during the day if he sleeps for more than 4 hours. At night let them sleep... I agree with poynormom... that is the goal!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ARE YOU CRAZY? IF YOU ARE BLESSED ENOUGH THAT YOUR LITTLE ONE CAN SLEEP A LIL LONGER THAN 3HOURS, YOU BETTER GO TO SLEEP TOO!!! THANK GOD FOR SMALL MIRACLES.
    Mommy4eva27

Answer by Mommy4eva27 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2009