Any moms of Autistic kids ( very mild case ) not wanting to be in the club ?

I don't want to hang with the moms of Autisic kids . I know it seems rude but to me they are a bunch of whiney , quiters . They seem to enjoy feeling hopeless ( refering to the poo pooing of Jenny Mcarthys ideas ) . They seem to want the kids to be treated normal until the meltdown and then want to use the Autisim as an excuse . ( Sorry but you don't get a pass on hitting or shoving because of It I do give consequences for this behavior !)I want to find solutions to our issues . I want to have hope I want my child to really fit in and have friends and I believe he can. I want to live a postive and normal existance and I want that for my child. I am isolated and confused but some of these moms are down right millitant . They seem to loathe " typies " . I know I am going to be bashed but am I the only one that feels this way ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has Autism and I don't hang out or talk much to other Moms who has a child with Autism. My son has a mild case of Autism. I find it hard at times to talk to other Moms because some of there kids have it more severe then I do. I went to a parents group for Autism and I was asked why was I there due to the fact that my son can speak and do homework. So I find it hard also to get support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thank you just hearing that makes me feel much less alone and wierd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm with you. I want accomadations, but I want him to meet the same standards. I don't want to apologize for him or make excuses. I want him to gain life skills in order to be successful and independent.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes my child is special and unique! He is a wonderful person with some challenges . I want to try to overcome his challenges and celebrate his capabilities in the real world not in a boxed off comunity with a label ,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Of course I want a "normal existence" for my son. But it's not going to happen. I don't feel hopeless, but Jenny McCarthy knows what works for HER autistic son, not mine. She is NOT an authority on autism and her idea that her son is "cured" shows that.

My son also receives consequences for his violent behavior, all. the. time. But part of autism is not being able to control the impulsive behavior. Part of it is not understanding why you can't do it.

Meltdowns (here) don't always include violence. When my son has his routine broken, when he goes into sensory overload "consequences" are not in order. He needs calmed, he needs to be away from the world around him, he needs peace. If that's in the middle of a store, so be it. Yes, it's BECAUSE of his autism and other than his meltdowns, he seems very neurotypical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ...cont

One can only treat an ASD kid "normal" for so long. They are not neurotypical and they never will be. My son is "mainstreamed" and his teachers know what to do for his meltdowns. We're doing what we can for intensive therapies in and out of the home. We're doing what we can to give him a "normal" life, but also supporting him and helping him when he needs a little extra help to cope.

That's what it's all about, to me, is teaching them how to cope with their difference. And giving them the tools they need to survive in the world on their own when they're grown.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hi. I don't have a child with autism so can't pretend to understand what it's like parenting one 24/7 however do work extensively with autistic children......

Thank you whank you thank you! It's awesome to hear a mom of an autistic child say this! I can't tell you how many cmoplaints I've had when imposing consequences on an autistic child for biting, hitting, throwing objects.......then have that same parent speak with me about wanting their child treated 'normal.'

Thanks. You really made my day! ;o)
    ggad

Answer by ggad at 9:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Anon 2:14 the experts don't have answers either ! I applaude Jenny for not just sitting and doing nothing but listen to the experts, I have stopped taking my son to places he can't handle intead of putting him in an unnessesary stress and imposing bad behavior on others ( wether he means it or not other children should not be shoved or hit because I instist on taking him somewhere he cant handle ) And after being left with Dad while I went to walgreens for months , He did find a way to control his " meltdowns" there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I never said the "experts" had all the answers. I'm not just sitting and doing nothing but listening to experts, either...but I'm also not spouting opinions as FACT when they are NOT.

She is giving too many parents out there "false hope" saying her son is cured! There is NO cure!!

Different things work to help different kids, some things do nothing to help any kids, but no ONE thing helps ALL kids ALL the time.

All any of us can do is be an advocate for our children.
    Anonymous

• I have a special daugher- we have never treated her any different than our normal daughter. as this point( she is 22 now) we still don't why or what it is that has made her special. yes we did every test known back then to find the reason why. she has so many of everything, but not enough to say that this is what it is.( if that made any sense). thankfully I met some wonderfull moms who were in the same boat as we are. I can understand the part of whiney moms cause there are some out there!!!
    Anonymous