how did you know when to stop breastfeeding?

did you decide to stop at a certain age? did you look for signs? what were they? and how did you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 6 months. Little brat started biting.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i'm going to do child-led weaning. he can decide when he's done nursing
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My oldest just decided one day that he didn't want to nurse any more. I tried for about a week to get him to take it again, no luck. It was only a week before his first birthday by then, so I just started giving him regular milk. He never asked to nurse again. So that was that. My second, I suddenly dried up at 4 months (NASTY flu). This time, if nothing happens before that, I plan to nurse until a year, then after that, just when she asks. Don't offer it, don't refuse it. If she goes to two years, I'll probably wean her shortly after that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I stopped at 7 months. She wasn't really drinking, she was just using me as a human pacifier. It was more for me. She was getting too big and I was in a lot of pain because I'd fall asleep. She had no problem stopping.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I did nothing and let him stop on his own at 26 months. After the first birthday I neither offered nor refused nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i've graduated with my bachelor's degree in early childhood development, and have learned that the best time to wean from the breast is between 6 and 7 months. but again, it is totally up to the mother and how she feels about the situation.
    charmbracelet84

Answer by charmbracelet84 at 6:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Charmbracelet who said its best to wean then? There is no best time month wise for EVERYONE. ehhh
    I am planning on self weaning. When her birthday hits in May I will stop offering but if she wants it I'm not telling her no either.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• With my first, I got pregnant again and the OB/GYN told me to stop nursing. With my second, he just didn't want to nurse any more at 7 months. I guess I wasn't fast enough for him.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• charmbracelet84 where in the world did you LEARN that!!! Breastfeeding has soooo many advantages for both mom and baby no matter how old. THe longer you nurse the more you decrease your chance of breast cancer, and the child conitnues to get immune benefits until they chose to wean. That is why the AAP and WHO both say as long as possible, but 2 years minimum is ideal. My son weaned on his own about 18 months and I feel only because I was pregnant and it had changed to colustrum and he didn't like it. My 22 month old is still going strong with no evidence of stopping any time soon. I will continue nursing until she feels it is time to stop or she hits 5 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I knew it was time to stop BFing when my nursling no longer wished to nurse. He had cut his nursings down; and then nursed to sleep one night and never asked for it again. Oh, and add me to the curious here Charmbracelet.....please give me some sources that disprove what the WHO and AAP reccomend as far as nursing.
    JenB1983

Answer by JenB1983 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2009