Cancer sticks in stores

Do you think cigarettes should be "hidden?" Maybe they are in some places/states. Every time I go in to a gas station, the first thing I see is a wall of smokes. I'm pretty weak-willed, won't deny it, and that makes it difficult to quit smoking. So every time I do something innocent as buying gas, I'm confronted with hundreds of packs...imo they should be under the counter or something, out of site of kids at least and ex-smokers definately lol. Or maybe gas stations shouldn't even sell them, wouldn't that piss people off hahaha? Only smoke or liquor stores can sell them, and retail stores, as long as they have them in only one lane or something. Yeah. That would rock! Give me your opinions on tobacco placement in stores, use in society, the recent tax increase, lay it all on me. I've had caffiene and will be up for a while lol...and about to have a smoke that I bought at the freaking gas station :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Here where i live, in Ontario Canada, it is the law to have cigarettes hidden now. They are now in cupboards behind the counter, in which the teller has to open up a cupboard to get a pack of smokes out. They changed this within the last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The Wal*Mart in our town only sells cigarettes by the pack from one line, and they don't have very many brands, they want you to buy them by the carton or not at all I guess. But you'd think Wal*Mart? And the Safeway grocery stores have them locked in a glass case, cartons AND packs... Albertsons have them behind the counter in the customer service booth, and they raised the state tax 2 weeks before the new Federal tax went through, so I'm glad I quit, they're getting so high priced and so much trouble to get it's not worth it anymore.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• That's great! Do you guys also do the giant warning lables and grotesque pictures? I'm pretty sure they do that "across the pond," not sure about you guys, definatly not here...our warning labels are kinda little lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm an X smoker of 6 mos. this Tuesday (April 7th)...yay me..lol! Every time I pass or our local convenience store...I still wanna stop in and buy a pack. Yes..I admit it...a Marlboro Red still sounds appealing....that should tell people about the addiction...UGH! I'm not sure if outta sight outta mind would work on some people. By the same token...if it helps others to not think about it...or not continue to smoke..or, to stop smoking all together...I'm all for it. btw...I thank GOD I don't have to deal with or tolerate the latest increase..what a silly joke that is.....oh, happy day!

Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 12:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes, yay you! No "lol" about it, yay to both of you for quitting!! I tend to quit for three months or so, then have "just one..." bad idea! I'm kinda puffing up a storm right now, because I'm determined not to light one up tomorrow..but I've quit before, can do it again FOR GOOD, just the "detoxing" is so dang painful lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Like the first poster says, in Ontario where I live the 'power wall' is now banned. We also have warning labels with pictures of diseased lungs and things like that on the pack- including a warning showing a 'droopy' cigarette and a warning that smoking can cause erectile dysfunction! I quit smoking over ten years ago, and occasionally still dream about smoking and wake up wishing I had a smoke... I understand that the cravings are hard to kick!
    I don't think product placement alone or price increase alone would have been enough to get me to kick the habit. What did it for me was a health scare where I had a breast lump and had to undergo further screening. It had me worried sick, and made me realize that if I did not want to go through this again (and have it come back positive rather than just a scare!) I had better take better care of myself!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Wow. I'm sorry it took such an abrupt wake up call for you, but I think you're my role model lol :-) 10 years smoke-free...that's quite an achievement!! Price isn't the driving force behind this, but it is a benefit (going to sock the money otherwise spent on cigs away for rainy day) And I haven't faced that scenario, but health is my reason. I hate not being able to run around with my kids without sounding/feeling like I have asthma, and I watched my great-grandmother die of emphysema. lol to the limp ciggy picture warning, that's kind of funny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It's not really seeing them that is the problem. It's that smoking is a lifestyle pretty much. I know when I quit I couldn't stop thinking about the places I went and things I did and people I was with when I was smoking. It actually turns out that smoking is an anti depressant. It's hard to give up something that you once used as a coping mechanism.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• They are "hidden" in all the stores in my town except the commissary on base.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I live in Ontario and I was going to say what the first poster said, only she beat me to it. LOL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2009