more mother-in-law crap

okay my mil decided that beens she couldn't do whatever she wanted with my 5 month old and follow our rules for our son, that she might as well not see us. She sent dh a text saying she was tired of walking on eggshells to get to hold her gs. Also another one saying You won't have to worry about us anymore. We are finished trying. That baby will suffer. No one else acts like that with their babies. You're right though, he is yours. You do what you want. If you want us you know where we are. I thought it was a bit immature. But I figure she'll be calling us within the next month crying to see ds and im going to say no. and hold off for at least another couple of moths. Pretty much try and teach her a lesson. What do you guys think?

newmom10408

Asked by newmom10408 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I guess it depends on what she wasa doing. If you don't want her around your son than she doesn't have to be.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Good idea. She is pulling the sympathy card it sounds like!! My mil is the same way. One time when my daughter was in the hospital for RSV my mil refused to come, because my parents were "crowding" the room. I thought to myself how selfish and childish can one woman be?? Stand your ground, because it won't end!!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 12:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• we didnt want for ANYBODY not just them, to get ds out of his stroller, we were at festival and did now want him to get sunburned. PLus there were also a lot of people there.
    newmom10408

Answer by newmom10408 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I say do what feels right. I got big problems with my in laws and its almost been a year since they have seen my son! They need to say sorry first!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I wish my MIL was still alive to hold my children and be there for them. She died March 12 of 2005 and her first grandchild was born May 21 2005. She never even got to see him. Feel lucky she's there in the first place. I really wish people would suck it up and deal with the in laws. Just remember. One day you will be the MIL. Do you wants your child's spouse to view you in the light you view your MIL??? Karma will bite those who deserve it hard
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 3:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i agree with greenmom...you both are being immature...you have your standards for your son yes, but you have to be able to be flexible with them, unless she's giving him beer and sugar cubes...she did afterall raise a good son of her own(your hubby)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think she should respect your wishes, but I think that if she calls, wanting to make amends, you should do it. I don't think either of you (grandparents or parents) should use your kid as a tool to punish each other with or used to "teach them a lesson".
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sit dow with her and tell her the reason why you are mad and why you wanted what you wanted in the first place. My MIL lives 2 hours away so we do not get to see her very often, I wish we did. You need to learn to get along and maybe spend some bonding time wiht her. Girls only. You need to realize grandma is gonna wnat to pick up her GS so next time maybe think of what she might want too and put some sunblock on him.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If she calls, just tell her that she needs to respect you and your husbands wishes as far as the kids go. What she's doing seems much like one parent saying yes when the other just said no. She needs to be on the same page as you, or it will really confuse your kids. Then they will suffer. And don't let her get away with the guilt trip. Call her on it. Really, if she can't respect your wishes, then she can just stay away. Let that be her choice, unless she is really putting your kid at risk for harm.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think that she needs to be able to respect your wishes before having access to your child. If she can't do that and then pulls the pityparty guilt trip later. Honestly I would have just put sunscreen on my kid and dealt with it but I'm going to say if you back down now she will think she won and can do whatever she wants with your child. I'm guessing this is not the first time she's overstepped?
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 9:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009