what are godparents suppose to get their godchild for their baptism?

I know they get the outfit but is it a candle they also get? do they get a bracelet or necklace?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• for a girl, maybe a nice cross necklace she can wear when she's older, for a boy anice illustrated childrens bible is good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son's Godparents bought his outfit, a beautiful white blanket with a cross & a cross necklace. The candle came from the church. Anything would be nice and meaningful.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I suppose that depends on the faith you practice. My son's godparents weren't "supposed" to do anything at his baptism except be there, acknowledge their role and witness. Their true purpose doesn't happen until after baptism when they fulfill their duties in helping to raise their godchild in the faith.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The candle comes from the church. Godparents usually buy the baptismal outfit. As for other gifts, it could be a bank account, necklace, a nice bible, a cross to hang in their room. Anything that has meaning and shows love and shows faith would be nice. If there is a Catholic or other religious bookstore in your area, suggest they go there, the staff will be very helpful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009