any tips on how to get a child off the bottle?

my son is a year and willbe two in august,but he stills drink out of a bottle but only when he goes to sleep he knows how to drink out of a regular cup but hates the sippy cup and he knows how to drink out of a straw but does anyone have any advice or tips.

javeonsmommy

Asked by javeonsmommy at 12:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try the non-spill sippie cups. Same concept, but its a "BIG kid" bottle.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 12:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think it's more of a comfort thing more than anything. Maybe you can tell him that the bottle fairy is coming and needs to take his bedtime bottles to other children who need them all the time. Maybe give hima big boy toy when you take the bottle. I know people do that for pacis.Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Throw them out, or have him do it and take him 2 pick out his own sippy cup. I threw out my daughters bottles the day after her 1st birthday and handed her a sippy cup and she never asked for a bottle or complain, because she felt the sippy cup made her a big kid
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 3:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was worried about this too. Does your child drink from a sippy cup? If so, try to get the ones with the silicone spouts..like Nuby or Munchkin. I took my daughters bottles away and switched her to those, because they are sippys, and it worked like a charm. Then eventually you can either let them keep that one, or switch to the harder ones.
    AshlynsMama2708

Answer by AshlynsMama2708 at 4:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If he doesn't like the sippy cup but can use a regular cup then don't force the issue. There's no need for him to drink from a sippy.

Get rid of the bottle. Just stop giving it. It's a habit that's been created and needs to be broken. Not to mention, it's going to be that much harder to take the bottle away later, and it's going to be harder to potty train when the time comes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had trouble getting my son off the bottle, For a couple of days I explained how he was a big boy and big boys didn't drink from bottles. First we went out and let him pick out a cup that he liked then I waited for trash day, I had him throw his own bottles away and then we watched the trash man take them away. He was upset at first but everytime he asked for his bottle I reminded him that he threw them out. It took a couple of days but then he was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I just took them away one day and handed my son a sippy cup. He didn't care once he realized he could still eat.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter dropped her bottles during the day herself at 8 months. Once I started given her a sippy cup at 7 months she had all her drinks out of it. I also never really gave her a bottle to fall asleep with as its bad for her teeth.

I would really just refuse him his bottle at bed time and let him cry a bit, he might not get emotional about it as you think.

LisaTu

Answer by LisaTu at 7:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes, take it away. YOU are in control.
    It's best for the child NOT to have a bottle...especially at night.
    We put our paci on the front step in a box when my son was 2 and told him a mommmy will come take it for a baby. and it worked out great. He was fine with it.
    Break the habit NOW before the teeth get cavities

Best wishes
    miabelladebra

Answer by miabelladebra at 8:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Throw out the bottles. Children should never be put to bed with a bottle. It causes tooth decay.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2009