Why does my girly-girl sometimes pretend to be a boy? She does this at least once a day. She just turned 3 and has 2 big bro's. With dad and dog being males, her and I are the only girls. Just wanna know if there are any other girls that have done this? I never did.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's very common. She's just trying on different roles, figuring out her place in the world. It's just like a child pretending to be a dog or a superhero - we know they can't really be those things and we frequently encourage that type of pretend play. But when it comes to pretending to be the opposite sex, many parents get nervous.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My 3 year old girl has tried to pee standing up because she saw her brother do it.
    She likes to play cars etc and gets confused about who can marry who.
    Is there something specific she is doing that concerns you?
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• She has two brothers...she's probably just trying to be like them. It's not odd.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My niece just turned 3 and is a girly girl, but prefers boy cartoons and loves to play with her brothers toys. She will have all her dress up clothes on and fake makeup and dresses and be asking to watvch batman or spiderman on TV and playing with hotwheels. Nothing to worry about at all, just trying to figure out where they fit in the world.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• thanks...
    I worry just because it would break my heart for her to want to be something she could never be...I mean like the transgender children that I've watched documentaries about. This started about 3 months ago. She''l say "I wanna be a boy" or "break my ponytail so I can be a boy" and I hope it's just that she is playing pretend. Then again right now she said " I need to put lipstick on me" and she's doing a little wiggle dance in the mirror. My husband thinks I'm overreacting. Thanks for the lovely advice ladies.
    Anonymous