• In the Spotlight:

im sorry, some people are so heartless

Why when ever i read about foodstamps people have to say such hurtful things without even knowing that person or their stories? I have food stamps, i use it mostly to buy my sons food. I dont plan on being on it forever and dont like being on it. my husband and i both lost our jobs and we look for jobs daily both been hard working our whole lifes but i am not embarressed to have some help. so if you are going to talk crap dont post anonymosely be the "big" person you are and show yourself. Some day you may need help...

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 1:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I've used them too. And it could be anyone any time that needs them. I recently watched a documentary about women who were middle class and wealthy but their lives turned upside down and they ended up being homeless. It is called "It Was a Wonderful Life." Everyone should watch it...especially those who like to wallow in stereotypes to feel safe...as though it could never happen to them.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• screw everyone else! My husband pays a TON of money in taxes and damnit if someone needs assistance they might as well use it !!! Its not like you are abusing it.. neither of you have a job and right now you are NOT alone and its NOT your fault. You are doing whats best for your child
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 1:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i agree. people be so mean on here. i have worked full time since i was 15 and i am glad the benefits are there for people that need them- including myself- i have only been on foodstamps for 3 months after my daughter was born - but i get wic- even though my hubby and i both work full tima at above minimum wage jobs we still qualify for it- i dont understand what people problem is- i know some people abuse these benefits but not many!!
    mamasonja27

Answer by mamasonja27 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have used foodstamps and what i hated was the looks and judgements from people around me...I was a single parent that would grocery shop after working a 40 hour week...I would shop in my uniform an people would still assume I was on welfare! Right now my husband is layed off and I'm wondering at what point should I apply for foodstamps.
    Food stamps are there for a reason and if you qaulify, why not?
    Also I want to know why the foodstamp haters are bashing the foodshelf users? People use the food shelf all the time just to get free food even if they don't need it! I had a friend who used the food shelf and ask for "kraft" mac-n-cheese and only green giant veggies..if she didn't get what she wanted she threw it away!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Some people just don't understand, you can do everything right and still end up needing help. You just have to ignore the nasty people.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It depends. Some people abuse the system and keep having innocent children they can not support. Some people are veterans,elderly,mentally disabled, and honestly need and deserve it. I could understand why its a touchy subject. Ive never had help because I look at is as, I was blessed with two arms and two legs to work and be okay,so I work hard and Im proud of that. Everyone was raised and taught differently though.I cant judge becuase some people do not think as I do.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Amen and well said!
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We were on Passport when I was pregnant with my daughter. We qualified for food stamps because hubby had gotten laid off. But we didn't take them because they ask if you have been on them when you apply for job. That is so wrong. I think it should be illegal. But I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with getting help with you need it. It takes a strong person to be able to admit they need help instead of letting them selves starve.
    mariaria

Answer by mariaria at 5:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009