Can anyone explain total immersion Baptism to me?

I recently became part of the Baptist church family in my town. I've never been a member in a church before. My family never went to church. I was told today I would need to be be baptized. I am soooo nervous. This is all so new to me. An 8 yr old will be baptized on Easter & I was asked if I wanted to do it then too. Would that be taking away from that little girls' baptism? Please I need help! I have to let our Pastor know something this week. A big thanks ahead of time for any help yall can give me.

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 1:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You would not be taking away from her day, it's not like upstaging the bride or anything. But, this is not something that should be rushed into. The baptism represents a lot of things - it represents Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. It represents having our sins washed away. (Christ was baptized in the river by John the Baptist. John talked about how he was baptizing people in the water, but that soon will come the one who will baptize in the blood of the lamb.)

It is a public declaration of a very private and personal choice to accept Christ as your Savior.

If you have any doubts about doing this, then I would suggest waiting, pray and study more about it, and talk to your Pastor about it. It's not something you should just do, because they invited you to, or because it's expected.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• When your Baptized it means you join that Church, you become a member of that Church, also total immersion means you hold your nose and they dunk you under the water completely.

we believe in total immersion Baptism also and before we are baptized we must study the Bible so we have an understanding of what Dedication and Baptism means to God and what it truly should mean to us. Does your Church do this too?

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Baptism is not something that you should rush into. I was Baptized in a Baptist church when I was 10. I remember feeling this is wrong. Not knowing then, that this what not MY spiritual path.I grew up to be a Pagan.

Religion, baptisms are a very serious, spiritual, personal and emotional decision. You just started attending this church, you should not feel pressure to be baptised.There are many who attend church and take their time to  accept the Lord as their Savior and be baptised. Make sure this is something that you feel with all your heart, So you can enjoy the magnitude of the moment. Our church use to baptize one or several people on the same day. You wouldn't be taking anything away from this girl BTW. Total immersion is when the minster leans you back and immerses your entire body into the water. I wish you the best with your decision.

CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with the others. Baptism should not be rushed into. You should be baptized only after you have studied and feel ready to do so. Make sure you are doing so for the right reasons, because if you do it for someone else it really just means you're getting wet in front of a lot of people. Feel free to pm me about baptism
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• They shouldn't be pushing you in to it. Baptism is a big step and it should only be undertaken by someone who truly understands what they are doing and knows what it means.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Everyone gets baptized together ina big pool so to say and water emersion is to cleanse the entire body, if your getting baptized why don't you know this?
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• lawla.... At my childhood church people were baptized one at time. I think it depends on the church. I agree she should know what she is getting in to. Especially something as important as this.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 9:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thank you for all of your answers...I came here to get answers on if this was something I should do or not. I have not had a chance to talk with my pastor as all this just came up yesterday. I certainly agree that I shouldn't rush into it. I planned on speaking with my pastor this week to have a better understanding. One of the church members just seemed a little taken aback when I said that I had never been a member anywhere & said that I would have to be baptized. So I just felt a little pressured I guess. I wasn't just going to do it without being educated on it first. The answers yall gave me just confirmed basically what I was feeling. And I guess I just wanted to know that I wasn't wrong in thinking that way. I will be praying about this. So thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. God Bless!
    emtaglover

Answer by emtaglover at 9:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hi. Hope this answer helps. I was 22 years old when I finally to came to fully understand what Baptism was all about. This is what I learned..
    The Bible teaches that first, we Must be Saved. I've heard people ask SAVED FROM WHAT??
    To be saved means that we fully and completely beilieve in the Lord Jesus Christ. We know that HE is God's Son, but Jesus also IS God. God came to earth as a little baby so one day HE (Jesus) would take the punishment for the sins of the world. That means my sins and yours. It doesn't mean we never sin again, it means that if we do, we're forgiven. And regardless of sin, we can rest assured that when we die we will go to heaven. Salvation is something that can never be taken away from you. Once saved, always saved. However, God does expect us to live our lives according to the scripture.Because, one day, every single person who has ever lived will stand before HIM and answer for our sins.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• So, basically, for you to be saved, you have to trust and you have to put all your belief and FAITH in Jesus Christ. That means believing in someone we cannot see, someone we can't physically touch, someone who's words we cannot physically hear. I guess a good way to put it is to go on blind faith. You know that if you jump off a cliff, you'll physically die. But your soul will awaken in the arms of Jesus.
    After you truly believe, then you are baptized. Baptism is showing the world that you profess Jesus as your Savior publicly and unashamedly. It's such a beautiful thing to experience. Because, the world will know that you have made a public "Profession of Faith."
    Total Immersion is when your entire body in immersed underwater for about 2 seconds. It can be done in a church "pool", the lake, a river, anywhere. It's a personal thing between you and God.
    I agree not to rush into it.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009