how can i teach my one year old that its ok to get her diaper changed

as soon as i grab a diaper she runs off she also kicks and trys to crawl away... i always try to make it a fun time for her... i tell her ahead of time i'm going to changing her diaper... and she never has a rash

cindythemom

Asked by cindythemom at 1:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have had similar problems with my daughter. A couple things always worked. Or if not I always had a backup. LIke the previous poster said give her a toy to play with usually one that makes noise. Or give her something she knows shes not really supposed to play with like your cellphone or something. Then she will be totally interested and distracted. Also try singing different songs to her and try to get her to sing along. The way I look at it is Id rather have a pleasant longer diaper change than a fast terrible one. So if you take a second and clap your hands with hers or something itll be worth it. I would say the best thing I did that worked perfect was when I was at the store I found Nickelodeon jelly beans. She loves Dora and sweet stuff so it was a perfect combo. When I changed her diaper she knew that she got like 2 or 3 and she was soo excited! So she knew diaper changing meant jelly beans and those are pretty cheap!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• have you tried giving her a toy to play with? make it something she can only have while she's getting her diaper changed. it will help distract her.

but you probably shouldn't take advice from me lol, my son is almost 2 and still throws a fit every time i change his diaper
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son does the same thing and i've tried everything. I've tried giving him something to play with while i'm doing it, giving him a reward for being still, talking to him trying to get him to calm down and nothing works. Finally I just started changing him on the floor and putting my leg across his chest so that he couldn't roll away. He screams because he can't get away but it gives me a chance to change his diaper.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 8:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Argue if you want to, but even at 1 year old, this is a learning experience in discipline. I gently slap my baby's leg and say something like "No squirming during diaper changes."

Eventually they learn, but they will always fight at times.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• try potty training. well, you don't have to if she's not ready, but get a potty and let her sit on it. My dd awlays lets me take her diaper off when she's by the potty w/o a fight. She's not too fond of putting it back on so sometimes I do a pull up so she can help me pull it on, sometimes I put it on with her standing, and sometimes I lay her down and give her a wipe to divert her attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This is normal... Mine does it too! They just want to be "free" and run naked. I wouldn't want to have a bulky, wet thing on my butt eiter but since they don't have the control yet they have to :)
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son was the same way and we started potty trainnig at one, he was 18 months when he was fully potty trained.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009