When to see the doctor after positive preg test?

After over a year of ttc, I finally got a bfp test result today! I have a 9 y/o daughter so i've been out of the pregnancy state of mind for quite a while. When is a good time to schedule a doctor visit? Also, what can I expect? I'm sure things have really changed since my first...in fact, I didn't even get an ultrasound the first time around. Do I need to get a blood test to make it official?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just got my BFP last week too! I have an appointment scheduled in three weeks which will make me 9 weeks prego. I would get prenatals and see when they can get you into the dr
    Jody82

Answer by Jody82 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes, b/c sometimes the store tests can have a false positive reading. Make your appt. ASAP! They should use an ultrasound to tell how far along you are, if you're not sure. Good Luck!
    5_girlz

Answer by 5_girlz at 1:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can go right away, or you can wait. I wait until the 12th week to schedule my first appointment. I've had a couple of miscarriages, and I find that earlier appointments, when you can't hear the heartbeat anyway, just make me more worried and nervous. Depending on what doctor you go to nowadays, though, you can get an ultrasound almost every visit. I think that's just crazy. They're not THAT safe. I only get one at 20 weeks.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• right away to get prenatals, etc.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 1:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well I found out I was pregnant at 8 weeks and went to my doctor for the first time at 11 weeks but this was because I lived 50 km away from my doctor. I had my first scan at 13 weeks. I was told its best to have your first scan before 15 weeks. I has a second scan at 31 weeks and then 1 at 41 week s but that was to check the water around the baby as I was over due. 2 scans is the normal.
    LisaTu

Answer by LisaTu at 7:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2009