when do you think a child is too old to go into the restroom with their parent? such as daughter and father mother and son? today I saw

an 11 year old with his mother in thel adies bathroom he was like mom im 11 i can go by myself lol

yoshiwife

Asked by yoshiwife at 1:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would still accompain my child to the restroom with me but not go in with he/her to feel by themselves by not completely and i guess theres really no ages its when you and your child are ready
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• A lot depends on the child and the situation that day. It might also have been possible that that child was in a place where he needed to be escorted to the bathroom.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• 11 is a bit too old to be going into the ladies restroom. I think that would be the cut off age.
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 2:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• 11 is too old. I have a ds, and my dh is in the military and deploys a lot, so I can feel the mom's pain. (even though my ds is past this age now).

One thing we would do is he would go into the men's room and I would stand there with the door open while he looked to see if anyone was in there. If there was, we waited until they came out if possible. If not possible, then I would say LOUDLY "Mommy is RIGHT here. Do NOT talk to or touch anyone. If you need me, yell and Mommy will come in!" I would wait right by the door, and if possible, prop the door ajar (it's not like you can see anything from there anyway, because people go in and out of it all the time with guys in there.)

A friend of mine had 2 ds's and she used to make them sing - while one "went", the other sang. If they stopped, she would call in, if they didn't start again, she went in!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Oh, and when my dh was out with our dd alone when she was little (like under 4), he would take her to the mens room but he would carry her and make her put her hands over her face and hide her face in his chest, then he would carry her to a stall and put her in the stall and shut the door, or, if there wasn't a door, he would stand in front of it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• An 11 yr old can still be easily molested in a public restroom
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I quit making my son go in with me when he was about 8, I made him stand right outside the main door and not move... He's 12 and almost 5'5 so it would be kinda funny if he came in with me,lol As for my 5 and 6 yr old, they will until they are 8 as well!! They hate it though,lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• 11 is too old. i walk my 5yr. SS to the men's bathroom. I stick my foot in the door of the group bathrooms and stand out there waiting for him. I will call in every once in a while to check on him. other men may have a problem with this, but i have made a big deal out of being a big boy and he knows that big boys go to the boys bathroom. sometimes i still make him go in with me and his sister if i have to go because i do not want to leave him alone. i am trying to teach him and his sister privacy so i dont want to contradict myself too much. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son is 2 now so he goes to the ladies room. When he gets around 5 I'll let him go to the boys room alone but problably stand in the doorway with the door open. If the other guys don't like it they can wait till my son is done.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think 11 is too old.

I don't use the main bathroom's at a store anyway....I use the family bathroom, partially because I have small kids and also because I can wait outside the door and know only my son is in there if he has to go to the bathroom.
    If I have to go to the bathroom I like the fact that I can take all of my kids in there and not have to leave them in the cart.

AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 6:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009