Should I be worried about my son's weight?

My son is 19 months old and he's 33 inches long and weighs about 34 pounds and I have done some research and it says that he should be somewhere around 23 to 28 pounds but he was a 9 pounder and was 21 in a half inches long at birth. He doesn't eat high calorie foods all the time he actually prefers fruits and vegetables over anything and when we sit down to eat he takes a couple of bites and then he's done and he is a very active little boy. Our doctor isn't worried about his weight but I am should I be?

javonnismom2007

Asked by javonnismom2007 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well if his doctor sees nothin wrong with him ...then hes fine boys are heavier just look at his clothes does he wear bigger size or something like that ..but time with tell and you can always help him lose weight ...if he eats good no junk then hes good ..dont worry !!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If your doctor isn't worried, than don't worry about it. My son is 17 months, 30 pounds and 31 inches. And believe it or not, he's not fat. Just solid. I measured him for clothes, waist, hips, everything is 24 months. Except his height is 18 months, and his chest measurement is... 3T. This kid is just built. And my oldest was the same. And now he's a few months from turning four, and he weighs 40 pounds, and is 43 inches tall. Practically scrawny. And no butt. It's impossible to keep the kid's pants up. I think I'm going to buy him suspenders.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Who cares what the internet says an average 19 month old should be? The internet (research) does not know YOUR son.

If the doctor isn't worried, then he's probably following HIS growth curve.

If he's eating a balanced diet and playing/being active he's doing fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Don't look at the weight, but rather the percentiles. My son has the opposite problem (very thin), but my doc said as long as he stayed within plus or minues 10% of where he was born he wasn't concerned. He was born at 10% and has gone anywhere from 0-17% in weight. On height it is the same and my son was born at 91% and has been 85-99% since birth. My daughter is the opposite and has hovered around 40-60% in both height and weight.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter is a big baby, she's 32 pounds and just turned 2.. If your doctor isn't worried, then you shouldn't either!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 10:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If your child's pediatrician isn't worried then your little one is okay. My daughter is on the tiny side, she's 18 months and 21 pounds. hehe :]
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't know my kids stats at that age off hand, but I'll show you this...
    My oldest son's stats at SIX years old... 40 lbs. and 44"
    My youngest son's stats at THREE years old... 42.25 lbs. and 42.25"

My THREE year is heavier than my oldest was when he was SIX-- and is less than 2" apart from him height wise at half the age! And they are both very healthy boys-- just with very different growth patterns and body types :-) So... no worries... your son's doing his own growth thing :-) lol
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My 19 month old DD is 29 lbs and 32 inches... I don't think you have to worry about his weight unless he is steadily growing at a rapid rate. Sounds like he's tall and just a big boy in general.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009