How can I produce more milk? Seems like I am drying up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your baby? What makes you think your supply is dropping?
    The most common indication that supply is low would be a drop in the number of wet or dirty diapers(depending on baby's age.)

The best and most effective way to increase and/or maintain your milk supply is to nurse as often as possible or, on demand.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yep, nurse on demand. Your baby can regulate your supply. Also make sure you are getting plenty of water and good nutrition. You should check out the Breastfeeding Mom's group. There is a post on this topic with over 590 messages on it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• What leads you to beleive that?

Only ONE true sign of a problem...you suddenly see a tremendous drop in the number of diapers you change. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. Not how baby behaves, not what you pump, not how your breasts feel...even weight gain isn't an adequate sign unless paired with a drop in dipes.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group's Resources forum for a couple of posts that should help you first determine your supply status and then give you tips on increasing if you need it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• this happen to me. I was pumping and breastfeeding her to try and increase my milk. But nothing work. I ended up having to switch to formula. my Dr said to drink lot of water, eat lots of fiber and pump and or breastfeed as much as possible. good luck
    Alorasmommy

Answer by Alorasmommy at 6:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Nurse as often as possible, try not to pump unless you have to, just put baby to your breast
    Drink water when you sit down to nurse and relax
    Eat oatmeal for breakfast and snacks
    Drink Mothers Milk Tea (can be found in most grocery or health food stores)
    Take Fenugreek
    Take Blessed Thissle
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Um I disagree with the woman above. You do need to pump more often, like, every 2-3 hours it will eventually make you produce more. I've had to do that numerous times. Certain medications will dry to up a bit, like cold medicene. So make sure you aren't taking anything different.
    k8struh

Answer by k8struh at 9:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Pumping depends. DO pump after feedings in your spare time for extra stimulation. DO NOT pump exclusively cause you need the stimulation and expression of the actual baby. Women don't just dry up. Babies often go through growth spurts and eat ALL THE TIME. After a few weeks, your breast feel soft and normal again instead of big and engorged. It's just your supply regulating itself, not drying up.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• at one point my milk slowed down,I just drank alot of water pumped and feed her alot.Let her keep sucking or keep pumping even when you have emptied your breast for a bit to demand more supply.
    Momtastic71

Answer by Momtastic71 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Pumping is totally unecessary. Baby is far more effective at draining the breast than the machine so stick with extra nursing sessions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009