what was your birth experience like?

first time mom..and im just curious. epidural or no? i hate hate needles..i shake over the flu shot. lol. is it worth it to get an epidural or better to just wait the pain out? what does an epidural feel like after? and what does contractions feel like?
ahh just be honest lol..i feel like i am getting the dont be scared talks from friends and family..but i just want to know what its really like..best way you can describe it

jeeennn

Asked by jeeennn at 2:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the epideral felt like a major pinch in the most sensitive spot. (it hurts even more if your having back labor! OUCH!!)

contractions are hard to describe......
    in a bad way of describing it. . . lol
    imagine that you have stubbed your pinky toe about 5 times in a row in the same day. that major pain that you can't walk, and throbbing, just agony. . .well, place that in your belly lol

you tighten up, and start to feel the pain come on, and the closer they get the faster the pain rises, and the more intence it gets. If you are able to relax and breath, your muscles are able to do their thing easier.

like i said, really bad analogy, but thats pretty much how i remember it. I had back labor with my second, and hollllyyy cow!!! i can't describe that pain. not to scare ya, but yeah. that hurt!!
    Good luck though. You can do it!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the stupid part is ..i am more afraid of the epidural then the contractions/birth. weird huh?
    jeeennn

Answer by jeeennn at 2:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i think that is totally normal!!
    my first, i was scared of it, and i tried so hard to not get it, until i got the first one that was HUGE that i didn't even remember asking for it LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• For me contractions were a tightening, squeezing feeling & the time between shortened but the length and intensity increased. I tried to stay calm with breathing and rocking. We left the house when the contractions were on top of each other and I couldn't talk through them. Arrived at hospital at 8cm, my water broke when I sat on the bed and an hour later our son was born. (just over 4 1/2 hours start to finish) I didn't want any pain meds--there are real dangers, please research it. I trusted my body to birth a baby & it did! The pain isn't unbearable & (it's temporary)if you work with it & keep thinking how it's moving the baby down. Also find a good position to push in, I was sitting up so gravity helped. I thought "down & out!" with a small forceful push followed by a long holding push...singing "Ring of Fire" in my head. lol I had nursed, showered, ate breakfast, took pics & called people within a couple of hours.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My new mommy-postpartum neighbor was leaving that day and it was the first time she'd been up moving around due to her epidural effects--which not everyone experiences but she was the 3rd one I've known (2nd one I actually witnessed) with issues. Also, nothing was passed to my baby & that was the ultimate goal. 8lb 3oz of healthy, alert baby boy. Research your options, ask yourself what kind of experience would you like & then be determined to fulfill your goal.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There are many risks with the epidural. Everyone I know in real life, and many in my natural birth groups, have had issues with their epidurals afterward. Between migraines, back pain, nerve issues, etc... There are also risks to your labor and to the baby. Paralysis is a real risk too.

IV drugs can drug the baby, especially since there is no way to no when a good time to give them. In theory they are suppose to be metabolized by the mother during labor.. but it's a theory that rarely pans out because you have no idea when you will deliver lol.

Contractions, when allowed to take their natural course, do not have to be miserable.. if you learn to cope. My first birth was an induction, which I regret but was told necessary. Pitocin is the devil. (There are tons of risks with this too, avoid it if possible). Until my water was broken (not my choice) contrax were easy to manage and breath through. If only I could walk...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• it would have been a lot easier!

Read "Birthing From with in", Hypnobirthing, "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and there are many more books! You can figure out what you want from birth, and what you expect.

Birth doesn't have to be this painful miserable, messy event. It can be beautiful and empowering, especially drug free. With out drugs you have freedom to move, and do what you need to do, and it is far healthier for both mother and baby!

Also, if you just allow your body to do it's thing you will get through it marvelously. Don't even think about contrax. If you focus to much on timing, etc, it becomes overwhelming. View them as waves or rushes and ride them.. just let your self go :) It is painful, but a pain that has a purpose!

Good luck!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was terrified of having a needle inserted into my spine. I refused an epidural and delivered both of my kids naturally. I was lucky that nothing major went wrong and my deliveries were pretty quick (71/2 hours for #1 and 2 hours for #2). You don't feel any pain when you are pushing.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had 3 natural births.. My 2nd one I was going to try an epi. but the Dr couldn't get it in. I finally told him to stop trying and I would deal with it... I was beginning to feel like a human pin cushion. All I can tell you is after I had my babies, I got up had a shower, was able to nurse immediatly after and felt fine... What I can't tell you is there won't be any pain. Find a focal point in the room and listen to the nurses, they know what they're talking about. And make sure you have your hubby/so/or best friend/or mom right by your side. And don't worry about screaming, it really ticks me off when someone that's never had a natural birth say's "I could hear one woman all the way down the hall, I don't know why some women have to make so much noise" You will be fine, get an epi if you feel thats what you want...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Things no one told me about birth before I had my first kid:
    --You're probably going to poop while pushing. Same muscles.
    --You might throw up during labor. And it might be a lot.
    -- You think the head is the worst thing to push out. Turns out, shoulders suck a lot.
    -- You will not have energy for about a week afterwards. You'll think you're okay to go to the store, but you will be wrong.
    -- You'll never be so happy to finally poop again.
    -- Birth pain becomes forgotten when you stop breastfeeding and allow yourself to dry up. Don't let anyone even THINK about your nipples during that time.
    On a lighter note, you need to discuss these fears with your doctor. Just because everyone you know had an epidural, doesn't mean you have to.
    If you have one, it's going to be a needle and there's nothing anyone says that will make it not be a needle. You just have to get yourself to a point where you're not focused on it.
    AutmnDreams

Answer by AutmnDreams at 8:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009