how to get rid of colic

my daughter has had this for 4 days and i havent slept,either has she. i dont know what to do. help?

teenmommy200916

Asked by teenmommy200916 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Car ride, gas drops....swing....Did you see that Graco sweetpeace newborn soothing center. I saw on reviews that parents said it was amazing with fussy babies. One woman said her baby was acting like yours so she ran out and bought it and it was like a miracle. Not sure how it works personally though.

What helped our daughter was one of those scented lap heating pads ( not the electrical ones) it's one where you can slightly warm it up in the microwave. I know they make ones for colic babies now. Anyway you warm it and put it on the babies tummy while they are in the swing etc...and it seems to help. Obviously supervised. You could try an old sock with dry rice and heat it up. Maybe also wrap it in a shirt with your smell.

Random thought but if you are breastfeeding try removing dairy or other certain foods and see if that helps.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Teenmommy,
    Go to Walmart over where they sell Mylanta/Maalox... there's a product called Gas Drops, get those... then get a bouncy seat or if you're tight on cash, set the carseat on the washer and run a load. Sounds silly but it worked for my oldest daughter...
    Good luck, I know colic is rough.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with the heat, and movement. Maybe call your Dr., colic isn't all day-it's usually around the same time everyday for a certain length of time. You can also swaddle and put in the bouncy seat or hold a warm rice filled sock against her belly for heat and weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sometimes turning on the vacuum soothes them.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Get Dr. Christopher's Kid-e-Col. I used it with 2 out of my 3 children. Absolutely the BEST tummy drops EVER. You should be able to find them in any all natural food store. Call first. Here is a link for what the bottle looks like and whats in it yadda yadda yadda. I keep it in the house when I have an infant.

http://www.colicshop.com/dr-crhistophers-kid-e-col-gripe-water.shtml
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 7:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I heard loud noises like the vacuum work with colicky babies but everybody is different
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter was colicky and I called my aunt (she is awsome with babies) she came over and put a candy cane (the red and white one) in some water and waited until the red part dissaloved alittle bit then took it out, and warmed it up alittle bit. And gave that to her, it soothed her tummy and really helped! Also I used Mylcon gas drops for infants that made a world of difference too!!! Best of luck!
    kaitsmommy1008

Answer by kaitsmommy1008 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Technically there is no "cure" for colic, heck, the doctors still dont even really know exactly what it is or exactly what causes it, other than its a really fussy baby with unexplained fussiness.

I did some researching on this when my 2 month old was having LOTS of unexplained crying for HOURS.....I found that for one, its NORMAL and happens to many babies, the crying usually happens in the evening, and that it usually subsides on its own around 4 months, so, if you can stick it out, it will most likely go away on its own....just be sure to give your daughter lots of love during this time, she needs it!

Also check all the normal things to make sure that isnt why she is crying....is she hungry, does she need to be burped, does she have gas, is she sleepy ect ect
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well my boy cried nonstop when he didn't poop for 3 days. I used Karo syrup in his milk, 3 times a day. Within 2 days he pooped like 3 times and was a happy camper. Vibrating bouncy chairs helps too (like a dryer). One neat trick I learned was taking him up to the fishtank. Looking at our fish at 2 AM is somehow fascinating to him, calms him down everytime. A Johnny Jumper (door jumper) works wonders too!!!
    k8struh

Answer by k8struh at 9:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• just a side note..... if you decide to use the vacuum be careful. My ex SIL burned a hole in her carpet because she would leave it running to soothe her son.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2009