Screamer

My 17 month old son has a very bad habit of Screaming. Looks right at me, turns red and he shacks. Not all the time, just at the wrong time. LOL Grocery Store, Mall, you know all the those places. Any suggestions or is he so frustrated that he can't talk?

mama32177

Asked by mama32177 at 7:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They all do that in the places you don't wish they wouldn't. Everyone turns and looks at you like you have just beaten your child and walk away making faces that could kill and mumbling under their breaths. Try to ignore it and what ever you do, don't give in to what it is he's screaming about. Or it will be the same on every shopping trip. Ro
    Roe2457

Answer by Roe2457 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well, clearly he's frustrated and can't talk, but he needs to learn that there is an APPROPRIATE way to communicate with you and an INAPPROPRIATE way. Screaming in your face is not appropriate.

When my children throw screaming fits like that, I just put them in another room, in their crib, or away from everything else until they calmed down.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well, it mihgt be a combo. He may be learning to express himself and his independence too. He may be testing you also. How far he can push mommy til she breaks. My son still loves to have public "shows". We just calmly tell him he has stop or he will get a time out on a bench or somewhere he cant do any damage. And with screaming just quietly tell him you dont uinderstand screaming and have him use his words. Once he knows we are serious and we have be consistent also it does work.Dont be embarrassed either. It happens! What parent hasn't experienced this! Just be consistent and dont give in or he will continue to fight you. Best of luck and hang in there!
    mikeysmomma1205

Answer by mikeysmomma1205 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• He is probably frustrated that he can't communicate with you. My daughter had the same problem, so I taught her some baby sign language. Even just knowing a few signs (like more and food) will help him be less frustrated. I'm sure your local library has books on it, otherwise there are websites out there that show the signs! I hope that helps.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 9:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My 19 moth old DD is a screamer too when she doesn't get her way... If were in public like a store & someone looks at us, I just look at her and say "scream louder, I'm not getting enough dirty looks yet!" and people turn away really fast. LOL If were in a restaurant or some place like that one of us will take her out ASAP. They are learning their frustration and can't quite communicate it yet. If you can, let him have his fit w/o giving him attention and when he stops try talking to him

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009