Trying to get more veggies in my son's diet. Any suggestions?

mama32177

Asked by mama32177 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to puree' veggies in EVERYTHING... :oP From ketchup to pasta sauce. Even pureed carrots and put it in pancake mix. It got to the point where my hubby would jokingly ask what was the mystery veggie in each meal... ;o) Once they were 2, we made veggies and ranch dressing one of our side dishes for at least one meal a week. By the time they were 3 they weren't "surprised" by the taste of veggies.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The rule in our house is you have to try it before you can say you don't like it. I make all different kinds of veggies for my kids, another thing that works with my kids (when they were younger) is when they complain I tell them to eat it because they like it, they will ask me how do I know and I tell them because I'm mom and I know everything. It got them to eat.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Try them prepped different ways like raw, steamed, or even frozen - some kids loves popping frozen peas and corn. Soup is good too, trader joes has a wonderful creamy veggie bisque (it's in a dark green tetra pack) which my son absolutely loves because it's smooth and a little sweet. He used to eat it thickened up with a couple of crushed oyster crackers as a little baby but now that he's 3 he'll eat half the carton (2 cups) in one sitting. Most kids love dipping too so try a little ketchup (especially good with baked sweet potato or parsnip 'french fries') or a favorite salad dressing; spinach leaves dipped in raspberry dressing are big in my house. My guy loves veggie tempura with a soy dipping sauce too, too high in fat for every day but he's a special treat. How many moms can say that their kids consider veggies a special treat? :-)
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• mix stage one baby food into other things you cook, they wont even know it is there.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 7:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There is a really cool book out there that is awesome. Made by a mom for moms. I
    love it! Its a cookbook full of ideas to get veggies in your kid without them even knowing it. Its called DECEPTIVELY DELICIOUS written by jessica seinfeld. I use baby food though instead of doing all the purees. it is too time consuming. Best of luck!
    mikeysmomma1205

Answer by mikeysmomma1205 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i agree with mikey and grlygrlz - puree the food and hide it. If it's a battle every time, both of you will be frustrated.

You can try introducing the foods at meal time, as well. But, if you're really concerned with him not eating his veggies, just hide them in his foods! I love the concept of deceptively delicious. It's great.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 9:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I've never tried it but someone once told me that she makes protien shakes and she adds everything to it. She uses alot of fruit, ice and then she'll add Spinac, carrots, whatever veggie she can think of. Maybe then you can call it a treat, like a milk shake.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Try mixing some of his favorite fruit in with it. I did, but it never really worked, but maybe it will for you. Ro
    Roe2457

Answer by Roe2457 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009