Does your child's school or preschool teach them about child abuse?

I'm doing some research for a presentation and this one organization says that a program is taught in every school in the US but my daughter's preschool does not and I haven't heard of thir being a program for kids. The program is called "Good Touch/Bad Touch" but there may be others as well... it teaches them about what is ok and what is not...

Maybe I'll post a poll too... Thanks in advance!

GoofyMama24

Asked by GoofyMama24 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our preschool and elementary school does teach about good and bad touching but doesnt really emphasize on child abuse other then sexual abuse. I do think kids need to learn about domestic violence and other forms of abuse so they can know that its wrong and tell someone.

Answer by gemgem at 8:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I completely agree!
    GoofyMama24

Answer by GoofyMama24 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The preschool that my children go DOES Teach about child abuse and it something that i go over with at home with them all the time so they will know the difference. My younger brothers were abused by someone in their lives when they were younger and i don't want that to happen to my kids so it something i feel strong about . I think you should approach the director of the school and talk to her about the bag touch/good touch program so they can get it started.
    sunshinestar110

Answer by sunshinestar110 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Umm, I did not know they taught that in preschool. Im actuallly looking for my son a preschool right now and the only thing i was thinking about him learning there was ABC'S and 123's. I would really appreciate it if schools left that up to the parents at least until they are a little older. I will teach my son what i feel is appropriate in the meantime. But that is interesting, I will start asking when i go around looking for a preschool for him.
    Anonymous

• anon 14, I think the reason schools don't like to leave it up to the families to teach their kids these things is because they believe that a lot of times the families are the ones who are involved in some type of abuse. No one would ever find out, of course, if Billy's mommy was supposed to be teaching him about abuse but instead was the one abusing him.
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I am so on the fence about this...I am with the anon who says to leave it up to the parents but also mommabeth15 makes a point...I guess I'll just see what the local shcool teaches when he is old enough of preK.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My sons preschool and elementary schools taught about good touches and bad touches and I see no problem in that. Some parents don't tell their kids how to protect themselves and what is ok and what isn't ok. I taught in a Catholic preschool and ALL teachers and volunteers had to go through sex abuse prevention training, it was called "Protecting God's Children". We also taught the kids what was ok and what wasn't. If children are educated at a young age, maybe there would be less abuse because kids know what is wrong and what to do if someone does touch them inappropriately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My sons was 4 and in headstart (he is 16 now) and when he came home I asked him what he learned in school today and my mouth dropped to the floor he told me what boys had and what girls had the proper names for private parts. I called the school and that is when they told me they had the good touch bad touch program there which I would have been ok with If I had known ahead of time so I was prepared to answer any questions instead of having to pick up my jaw from the floor. so they do teach it here but they should let parents know ahead of time. my dd is starting headstart next year and we are in a different town so not sure about here I guess I will find out.
    unicorn54166

Answer by unicorn54166 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2009