May be a stupid question? But its regarding getting your tubes tied...

Alright, so I was just wondering if you have to have a c-section in order to get your tubes tied? This is my 2nd child and I have found out that I might be a carrier to a rare disease. If this is true, then I am getting my tubes tied regardless of my age. Thanks for any info!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think so. They just dilate you & go in from there for the surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No you don't I had a vaginal birth,and the next morning,they took me in the OR and went through my navel,I was sore,but done fine.(oh they do put you to sleep)
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• as long as there no other complicatons like preeclampsia they take u for the surgery the next day,its a lot easier witha c section cuz once they take the baby n placenta out they do the surgery right then n there
    jrsmom07

Answer by jrsmom07 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My friends was also done through a tiny incision in her navel. I haven't ever heard anything about them going up through your vagina...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had a tubal ligation 6 weeks after my daughter was born. No, you don't have to have a c-section to have it done. They go in through the navel to do it.

One caveat concerning the tubal - it can cause you to have horribly heavy periods for years after. I wound up having to have an endometrial ablasion to fix mine.

Also, there are some women (myself included) that psychologically link sex with conception (even if you are on b/c and aren't trying, you still know you are fertile) and it can mess with your sex drive.

TMI, I know but it is the truth. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.
    mykidsmom75067

Answer by mykidsmom75067 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Posters above have already answered the question. I wanted to add if you ARE having a planned c-section and want them to do a tubal at the same time check your insurance. For some ridiculous reason some insurance companies won't cover the tubal if done in conjunction with a c-section ( or other abdominal surgery for that matter).
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009