How can I get my 3 1/2 year old to poop on the potty?

My daughter will pee on the potty pretty well but not the other. She wears underwear and messes in them all of the time. I wonder if it could be because she has had a problem with her bowels. Every time that she tries to poop she will try to hold it in. Any suggestions?

stressedout366

Asked by stressedout366 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd would hold hers until it hurt, but still poops in the potty (she's 2) but the last time she pooped in her panties, i spanked her & she stopped
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• well, my SIL was having the same problem with my nephew. I know it might sound crazy put she kind had to give him something positive to look forward to... She would say if you poop in the potty you will get a little gift. She picked up little gifts from the dollar store and give them to him. So as time went on he just did it on his own with no gift. I don;t know if this is a good idea for u but it worked for her. Good luck!
    sunshinestar110

Answer by sunshinestar110 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Put a little prize basket on the back of the commode,and when he/she poops in the potty,let them pick out something,even put a little promise note,to take them to the park,McDonalds,make sure you place things in there they cant resist,like balloons,suckers,ring pops.Don't use the prizes for nothing else ,but pooping in the potty.Rewarding does work best.Good Luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My sister went through this with her almost 5 year old who just started pooping the in the toilet all the time about a month ago when his younger sister started doing it. He would hold it until he had to go and then would run off and hide and do it in his pants. When asked he said he did it to be funny and cute because they babied him all the time. He said he was scared of the toilet and all kinds of stuff. Once his baby sister started then he thought hey I need to out do her and use the toilet as well. Their problem was consistency, one day he could do it and get away with it and then the next he got in trouble. The final thing that worked was not letting him get clean underwear. If he pooped in them he had to stay in them all day long. It sounds mean but once he noticed his butt hurt all the time he got it in his head and then his sister just helped make see he is no longer a baby. GOOD LUCK
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the way i did it with my son (he is 4 now) was when ever he poop in his pants i made him clean it up himself so he learn how nasty it is
    after 2 weeks of doing it he started telling me when ever he had to go and eversince he goes potty by himself

darkrain20004

Answer by darkrain20004 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009