Benefiber for children..recommended by doctor

My doctor told me to add 1 tablespoon for benefiber to my babies bottle to help with constipation. We have had problems with constipation and she wouldn't take prune juice anymore or apple. She pretty much does not take much juices anymore. Anyways so i did, and it has been working very well. Havn't had no problems since. But what confuses me is that i give her lots of veggies and fruits. like peas, green beans, squash, spinach, oranges, grapes, and she loves cottage cheese. And i thought that giving them those was suppose to help with constipation.Was any of those foods cause constipation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, she is nine months, and she also eats oatmeal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It just could be that she needs extra fiber. Fruits and veggies are supposed to help with constipation but sometimes that's just not enough. I have been dealing with constipation with both of my boys. They are 2yo and 4yo. My 4 yo is doing really good now, but I still have to give him Miralax at least once a week. My 2yo, well, we're still struggling on a day-to-day basis. I cut out cow's milk and he is strictly on soy milk which really is helping. A couple months ago we ran out of soy milk and I gave him a small cup of cow's milk and he was stopped up for a week after that. So, maybe there's more to your dd's constipation. Or maybe she just needs the extra fiber. If you continue to have problems, I suggest you speak with her doctor again. If she is on formula it could be just that stopping her up, formula tends to do that to babies. Or it could be that it's from cow's milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Do you feed her formula? I found with my first to that formulas with DHA and AHA made them constipated. Similac used to have a formula With out it... it was just with Iron. But that was a couple years ago so I don't know if they still have it. With my second I used The Similac gentalease And that seemed to help him but it was pretty expensive. Hope this helps. It's the worst when thy have a hard time going :(
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Benefiber has been a godsend for us. My g-son isn't an infant, he will be 5 this month. 15 months ago though he had a moderate bowel obstruction. We were able to clear it without surgery but what a mess. He was on Miralax for 9 mjonths after. It was pretty much impossible to potty train with they are having stools that are much thinner than normal consistency. The dietician advised us to ask the DSr if we could try the benfiber, she agreed. What a difference. His stool are 'normal' now. As long as we give him the amount ordered, no issues. It also is wonderful that is doesn't get thick, no taste. You can put it in juice, in pudding, in whatever.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Cheese and bananas can cause constipation. I used the Benefiber with my son but he was over a year. We also would give him a tsp of mineral oil to lube things up and get the process started
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009