Painful cramping during a bumpy ride

Hello, I am 27 weeks pregnant and this last weekend we went to my mother in laws who lives 1 1/2 hours away and we were driving a truck while pulling a trailor and the ride was super bumpy. I would get really strong painful at times cramps. Do you think that these were contractions and do you think they made closer to delivering? I am not ready to deliver but do you think they did anything that might make me go early? I get super painful cramps when we have sex which im sure are contractions so sex is pretty much out of the questions now.....any help would be greatful thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I doubt your close to delivering and the cramps are normal really. The farther along you get the more all your muscles are supporting so bumpy rides and then you tensing up will cause the cramps. As for having sex and cramping, your cervix is contracting and he is putting pressure on it so try a different position. It may feel like contractions but until they are 3 to 5 minutes apart, getting stronger, and lasting 30 seconds or more its just braxton hicks and every woman has those. Try relaxing during sex. Your probably tensing up because of the fear its going to hurt. You will know when its real labor because you won't be able to talk or concentrate on anything but the contractions. I was the same way and asked my mid-wife and she said our own fears tend to make little pains worse and being tense and planning for the pain also causes it to be more than what it is. Talk to your dr if you think there is a problem.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would have contractions when I changed altitudes (I live in a mountain state so just driving 25 minutes north will do that). At first I didn't think they could put me into labor- but once I realized that they were very strong and lasted quite a while after we got home. So I stopped traveling for the rest of the pregnancy.

I don't think that one ride would put you into labor- but just know for the future that it does that to you and try to avoid it. You never know.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009