Is it normal for my 5y/o to talk about death already?

2 days ago my son told me he was afraid if I ever died, is this normal? He has been talking a lot about death lately, as if it's always on his mind.

Asked by maribel6500 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It all depends on how you view this. Has he heard about it from television, friends in day care/school? It's best to sit down and talk to your child honestly and as openly as possible. Don't baby talk to him it will just confuse him more. Look for children's books on the subject to help him and you have less fears on this.

Answer by KimberleyJo at 1:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my son who is also five talks about it too. he is scared but i just explain that when someone or something dies it is just their time to go to summerland.(heaven). It makes room for someone else to be born and it is natural and not scary. It is just something that will happen.

Answer by amdeetuemama at 1:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• well my son will be 6 in aug he has been asking about it for about 6 months now because we were talking about my husband's late mom. She passed away when he was 3 he remembers her we tell him he is w/jesus and he is understanding more

Answer by den5576 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yeah, especially if there has been the death of friend, family or pet. After my dad died my daughter, 3 years old at the time, said when I die she will get a new mommy. Sure, it hurt at first but I realized she didn't mean it that way. I asked where she'd get a new mommy from and she said "Pick Quick" (a convenience store) and I asked where new daddy's come from and she said Food Lion (Grocery store).

Answer by seakla at 3:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i think in today's day and time it is normal but i would seriouly guard what the cild is watching. hearing and playing

Answer by paulazach at 6:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son is 5 and he is constantly talking about people, animals, even insects dying! I read him the book "the little soul and the sun". I think it puts the whole cycle of life in a sweet and purposefull light. But it's totally normal! My son started asking when his dad killed a spider over a year ago. Good luck mamma!

Answer by NikkiLenz at 3:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think you should be open! I had a brother pass away very suddenly and my daughter was 6 at the time. They were very close with him being only 10. I had not explained anything about death to her. I just let the questions pass. It was a very hard time for her and it made it worse that she did not understand. Children ask questions when they really are interested in hearing an answer.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2008