What could cause you to miscarry if the ultrasound a few days before said everything is ok?

My friend had an ultrasound and they said everything was okay then she had sex couple days later and started to spot then clot then heavier bleeding. Passed a large clot and then steady period like bleeding. First trimester.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anything can cause it. Lack of hormones, to many hormones, an imbalance in the vaginal fluids, a weak placenta, and weak uterus or cervix. The baby could have had a defect which caused it. There could be a million and one reasons it happened. Miscarriages happen all the time for no reason at all and at any stage in pregnancy. Has she gone to the doctors to make sure she did miscarry and that its not an infection or a tear? Spotting can be normal and sometimes women have their periods during pregnancy as well. She will know more once she goes to the dr. They can tell her what happened a little better by doing an exam and another ultra sound.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I hope she didn't miscarry, did she have any cramping before she passed the clot? Before I miscarried I had an ultrasound and was told everything was ok. Two days after that I miscarried and continued bleeding for about 4 days, but I was given medication to stop the bleeding. She should go see her doctor asap. It's normal for some women to bleed, but not sure about the clot.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 11:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2009