Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many kids can be kept by someone at their home without being licensed?

I live in Alabama and I was wondering if anyone could help me find this information. I have a friend and her child stays with a lady at her house. the lady has one other child for a total of two but will be including 2 new borns in the fall. we can't seem to find any information on the ratio for keeper and children in unlisensed daycare provide for state of alabama. if anyone could help we would greatly appreciate it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • You can call DSocial ,they can tell you,I live in Va,an I could keep 5,but it probably depends on your state.If Dss can't help,they can telyou who can.good luck

    Answer by Val504 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I would call your local department who handles that. It's different in every state. Where I live, you are not allowed to keep children in your home unless they are family members or you are doing it for free. Otherwise, you must be licensed. But you can call your local agency and just ask them. You don't have to use names but just ask for that information.

    Answer by DDry at 10:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • What department would handle that ??

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Where I live, as an unlicensed childcare provider, I can provide 10 hours of child care a week. There isn't a number of children, but once it passes 10 hours I've got to be registered. 10 kids for one hour each or 1 kid for ten hours, as long as it does not excede 10.

    I can't think of hand who exactly you would call, but either Soc. Security or child services would be able to give you a good contact number.

    Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • In MO you can have 4 kids unrelated to you without being licensed. The small business licensing place here is who I called to get that information. You Social Services office should know the information or should know who you should call.

    Answer by frapanda at 11:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Call Social Services in your area and they should be able to tell you.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I would check with social services in your area or even the local police dept might know I live in wisconsin and you can care for 4 children other than your own before you have to be licensed and it really isnt bad to be licensed either because then if someone is on state child care assistance you would be able to quailfy for that they have to use a licensed daycare provider and then you get paid through the state.

    Answer by unicorn54166 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.