How do I fix bedtime?

My son will be 4 next month. Bedtime is one of those things that I thought would get better in time, but it's just gotten worse as he's gotten older. When he was tiny, he would literally go through the routine and just lay down and fall asleep. But from about 2 1/2 on, he fights it for all he can. He gets out of bed, he yells and talks and sings as loud as he can, he sneaks around for toys and food, he hits and kicks the walls... Pretty much anything that means he's not in bed. I've tried everything from putting him in a room with nothing, doing what the shows say and just calmly putting him back with and without talking to him about it, to now having him on a loft bed in my room where there's nothing but his bed. I just don't know what to do! If I ignore him, he stays up until as late as 1130pm, but still wakes up at 8am. He's exhausted during the day and has horrible behavior... Any other ideas or tricks I should know about?

MamaPichette

Asked by MamaPichette at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Before bed,,like two hours before,,Stop letting him play. Make him sit down and watch TVor read to him..Things that are calmer..Give him a warm bath. Then put him in bed..Of course threw out the process tell him it's almost time for bed

Answer by louise2 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't understand why parents don't spank their children anymore.

We would have far fewer disobedience questions in here, that's for sure.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I never said that I don't spank him. I just don't want to spend an three hours of my night spanking him then putting him back in bed. Cuz there have been those nights, and it doesn't change anything. I'm really more looking for support in him not going to sleep. Wondering if there are any secrets that I don't know about...
    MamaPichette

Answer by MamaPichette at 9:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2009