An altercation at work has made it a very uncomfortable environment

My Fiancee drives a forklift and almost backed up into two of his co-workers. He saw them in time and as he was going to apologize, one of guys started hollering and badmouthing. Needless to say the guy made a complaint and an investigation was started. My Fiancee was taken of the lift and sent to a different department until HR comes back from vacation to further discuss and assess the situation. How do you handle a situation like this? The trouble making co-worker has turned all his friends against my Fiancee and it is very uncomfortable for him to work. He has be threatened and it get looks all day long. I feel like his days are counted. We have 3 small children and I am so worried about this situation. A lot of people's statements were taken and a lot have lied about what they saw happened. My Fiancee was asked if he was angry or frustrated while driving his lift. It almost seems as if they are pointing the finger at him.

BVG

Asked by BVG at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think both people were wrong. Your husband is driving what could be a deadly piece of equipment, he should have been watching more carefully. But the other guy was acting irrational as well. I think there is probably more to the story, maybe something your husband isn't telling you. Most men, wouldn't have taken it as far as this guy did unless there was a previous conflict or your husband really was being a jackass and was trying to scare them. (I am not saying he was.) Your husband needs to bring up these threats with HR or with a manager. He should probably look for another job so he can get away from these people. I think everyone is acting incorrectly here. Your husband ahould have been more careful and they shouldn't be threatening him.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Forklifts are dangerous and he could have easily driven into them and killed them. They are probably upset and maybe your fiance is not telling the whole story. He may want to start looking for another job if he is feeling threatened.

My uncle was killed when a co worker backed into him. The co worker lied about the incendent not realizing it was caught on tape. He blamed my uncle when it was in fact his fault. Your fiance is probably embarrassed and may have said something he does not want to admit to you. For those guys to be treating him this way he must have came very close to seriously injuring them. He really needs to formally apologize and take his lumps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009