Binkies

My son is almost 3 and will not let go of that Binkie, I don't know how to get it away from it, I tried to just give it to him at night when he sleeps, but he wines all day about it, his teeth are grown in funny, but I don't know how to get him off of it, any ideas please!!!

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 10:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Seriously you have to put up with the whining and just toss it. He will whine and cry and throw a fit, but you have to be the strong one. The longer you wait the worse it will get, and it will only last a day or two. Throw it away, he is not going to suffer except for the fact that he wont get his way, again...stand your ground momma and be strong, and get that boy to a dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yea you have to put up with the whinning and make consequences for it. Giving in only reaffirms that his whinning works and that HE is in control
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Be consistent. Take it away, throw them away and tell him no more. He will cry and fuss but you have to out whit him and not give in. He knows you will give in thats why he whines. Let him pick out a toy to replace it. Don't give him the binkie anymore. Set a day make a count down for him to mark off and on that last day throw it out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Take the binkies and throw them in the trash. You are the parent...if you cannot handle getting rid of the binkies how are you going to handle the other stuff as he grows up? Don't give in. Just get rid of it. You said yourself that his teeth are all jacked up. I think you know what you have to do here...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Get rid of them. Take them away and do NOT give them back.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• A nicer way is to have him put the binkies in a little bag and hang them up for the "ferries" to take and in return give him a BIG boy toy. something that he could only get for giving his binkies away to the babies that need them!
    look on the mam website they have a cute story on there about the ferries and stuff.. you read it to him I think it takes like 3 nights to read it for him to get it and then give them away
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 2:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I let mine have hers only at night otherwise she has night terrors. she whined at first but she got over it. whether you do that or go cold turkey you have to stand your ground. it only takes a couple of days to a week. eventually he'll get over it and find something else to soothe himself.

litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 2:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You're the parent. Just take it away.

He's way too old for one anyway.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Take it away and throw it in the trash. My son threw a fit for a couple of days and then he forgot all about it. Try giving him a sippy cup at night instead of the binkie. That worked for my son, the first night he wasn't to happy about it but then he was fine.
    Sharina

Answer by Sharina at 1:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009