Ever fight with a cat??

I feel like I'm fighting with the cat. He's about 6 months old and wants to dominate all the food, his, mine, the dogs. Well, I have to make him stop. Teaching him by holding my hand out and saying no. Anyhow, it pisses him off when I tell him no. He lays his ears back and attacks either the bar stool or the extra office chair. I mean, ears laid back, scratching & biting and meowing. Then he'll run around behind the table and take another run at me and my food (trying to jump up on the table, grabbing me by the leg, and all the time MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!. So we start all over. If I wasn't the one having to deal with it, I'd say it was funny. This is my 1st cat. Is this normal behavior. Or is it a male thing. He has an appt to get fixed next month. No we do not feed him from our plates. He eats 2X each day (canned) and has a bowl of dry left out for him all the time. He's just always done this. We've had him since Christmas.

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 10:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Oh I had to laugh - I have had cats my whole life and never seen that. I will say male cats can be a bit more aggressive but not to that extent. WOW - r u sure you didnt get part tiger. lol:)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 12:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No not normal, but you are right if it is not happening to you it is kinda funny.

Really though, I dont know what to do about a cat misbehaving except to get aspray bottle with water in it and spray him when he does it. Maybe talk to your vet about another solution. Sorry couldnt be of more help.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Maybe only feed him when you are eating too so he has his own food and it is not just always out?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm pretty sure that's not normal... maybe kennel him or put him in another room when there is food out.... a spray bottle works wonders too... my cat kept trying to eat my son's fish so I invested in a 97 cent and after 3 or 4 days, she doesn't even go near the tank.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• OMG. I'm not even there and I know that would be so annoying. I've only ever had male cats and none of them have ever done that. They will sometimes beg if I have something they like (usually ham or beef jerkey...lol). I guess you could try shutting him in the bathroom or something when you go to eat, but damn.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• OMG Y'all.... he spends the next half hour after I make him mad just BOUNDING into what ever room I am in, flying up on some piece of furniture and meowing at me then he'll jump down and run out of the room and jump on the bar stool again. Then if I'm walking like down the hall, he come BOUNDING by me in full gallop run meowing as he goes by. You can hear him all over the house. I have NEVER seen any animal throw a fit like he throws. It's definitely comical, but annoying as all get out. (It's a good thing that's an odd bar stool cuz he's whooping the heck out of it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• He does not quite understand what you are trying to get across to him. First feed him before you put out your own food, so he isn't hungry. Then when he goes for yours, grab him from the top and pin him to the floor or table top or whatever he is on. Not hard, just hold him there with your hand cupped over the top of his neck. Tell him "NO". Then when he quits wiggling to get loose, set him free. Keep doing this as often as necessary. He will soon stop but it may take a week or two. Neutering may also help. The bouncing around the house afterwards sounds more like he's trying to get you to "play" than anything else. He may regard the whole episode as playing, and you have to refuse to play the game and train him not to.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Pagan Mama, I do put his feed out. He eats every morning at 7am (canned food). Then mid morning I put out his dry food for the day. If he thinks we're playing, why is he laying his ears back flat against his head like when they are mad?

And a second thing. Usually for a day or so after he's got so "mad" he will just walk by me and bite me on the leg randomly (quite hard and quite a few times a day ).

Cats are sure curious creatures. I love him though.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have owned cats all my life and i volunteer for a cat shelter in my area and i i can tell you hes just playing with you. I had a cat when i was younger that would hide behind a wall and when my brother or father would walk past she would attack their feet. All of the things your describing are just him being extremely playful
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 12:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• not really that normal, he just sounds really territorial...is he neutered? you may want to do that. Try a spray water bottle. we don't even have to spray my cat when she does something wrong, we just merely grab it and show it to her, or shake the water inside and she takes off like a bat out of hell. she knows better lol
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009