How can I stop my (Almost) 2 year old from doing this?

Every time he is told to do something, or asked to do something (i.e. clean up his toys, food mess, lay down to get his pull up changed, etc ANYTHING) he thrusts his penis at me. No matter how I ask, all happy and excited or seriously instructing him to do something, he shoves it out there.

It's most definitely his penis, and not his chest or stomach. He doesn't do this to his father, just me.

I am not his mother though, she left when he was 3-4 months old, and has only seem him 6 times since then.

Is this a testosterone issue? Or a mental hiccup related to his mom leaving?

I don't want him to be the 8 year old that cups and shakes his privates at people, so I'd like to intervene as early as possible.

Anyone have any advice? I've never heard of this before.

new_mom_10_21

Asked by new_mom_10_21 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How do you react when he does this? If he is getting any type of reaction from you, he is probably just doing it to get another reaction. I doubt it has anything to do with is mother, especially since she has never really been in his life. But I would re-evaluate how you react to this situation. Maybe ignore the behavior and he will stop. Every kid is different so you just need to try different things to see what works. He is just learning about this body part even being there. He probably sees that you do not like it when he does this so he does it because he doesn't like to be told what to do. Just pretend he isn't doing it and keep doing whatever else you are doing.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter thrusts her hips at us when she's mad or is asked to do something she doesn't want to do. She lets out a grunt with it or flat out tells us no. Of course there are consequences for telling us no tho. Since children aren't sexual at this age, I never really thought about it any other way than showing her stubbornness, maybe this is what your son is doing. I would ignore it and it will probably stop. If he's anything like my 2 year old, when she knows something gets to us, she'll put on a show....once her audience is gone, she stops.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2009