post colicky baby

my little boy who is 5 months old now was very colicky up until about a month ago. if he was awake he was crying :( . as a result i held him pretty much all day so he never learned to nap in his crib. any suggestions how i can transition him from napping in my arms to napping in his crib?

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh Mommy.... My son had all day colic til he was 5 months also - I AM SO SORRY! he was still a fussy baby after his colic was done, he was just more calmable from his crys.. anyway - because of this type of colic, they don't learn how to self sooth as other babies do - so the transition for naps and bedtime now will be a hard one. but there are books you can read to figure out what method you are most comfortable with. I HAD to use the crying it out method but I didn't start that til he was 8 months old after he didn't sleep for 3 days - but most books say its ok to start after 6 months -anyway - there is not an easy answer to your question - but email anytime and I can tell you some things that worked for us - depending on how bad / good your child is now after the colic
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• When our daughter was colicky we did eventually train her to sleep tightly swaddled, and we kept her that way till about 6 1/2 months. But what helped her sleep without that, alone in her crib, was when she was finally old enough to sleep on her tummy. Once she learned to roll both ways, we started taking her out of the swaddler and putting her down on her tummy. She slept for really long stretches. Sometimes she'd cry right at first when we put her down, but would have stopped by the time we were out of the room.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009