How do I cook yellow squash?

Chocolate39

Asked by Chocolate39 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i personally like boiled squash. chop it into cubes, add some white or yellow onions, put it in some water add some salt & pepper & boil it until it's soft...it's really good (some ppl add butter to it while it's cooking to add flavor, i don't though)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• what we do is cut the squash in half, take the seeds out, then put a little bit of water on the bottom of a baking sheet and place the squash face down. Cook at about 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, check after 20 minutes. it's really good that way
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• zakysmommy that sounds like butternut squash not yellow squash
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I've always fried it. Slice it up horizontally. I put vegetable oil in a pan on the stove and let it get hot. Meanwhile, I have a bowl with flour in it, and a bowl with eggs and milk beaten together. I dip each piece of squash in the egg mixture, then flour, then egg again and fry it. It doesn't take very long. If you can stab it with a fork and it's soft, then it's done. Don't forget to flip it when it starts to brown a little on the one side. There are probably other ways to cook it, but that's the only way I ever have.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 11:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I forgot to say to salt and pepper it too while it's frying.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 11:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can also slice it and cook it in a pan on the stove. What I do is get some zuccini and banana squash and slice it (in circles) and put them in a pan on the stove with some chopped onions and olive oil. Kepp cooking until soft and you can add butter if you like and salt and pepper to taste... Yum!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• "zakysmommy that sounds like butternut squash not yellow squash "

It's still UBER yummy though lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• lol i've never tried butternut squash, i may have to :P
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Grill it with zucchini and garlic
    BREN_da

Answer by BREN_da at 11:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I marinate mine in fat free italian dressing for about 2 hours, then grill it and sprinkle with sea salt.. If you have little ones you are trying to entice to eat it, you can slice it in french fry slices, fry it in a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and sea salt.. if you prefer not to fry them, you can do the same marinade as above, coat them in italian bread crumbs and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, let them dip in ketchup or marinara sauce. Yellow squash has lots of different ways to prepare it.. experiment and if you find something really yummy, let us know!!!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009