Tips for weaning a 6 m/o...

... off her binky?heh. We are probably going to just let her have it at naps and when we put her down for the night. She doesn't use it much except for those times-but daddy will give it to her when he's watching her to make it easier on him (men.)

What would you recommend? How have you weaned your children off their pacifiers?

Please no bashing- my lo has a strong suck reflex and has needed a binky since day one. I thought it was a good decision for her and was calmed with the fact that they can prevent sids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would first have a talk with your husband abut the appropriate times to give it to her. He has got to be consitstant with you on this. Other than that just distract her when it is not time for it, and only give it to her at bed and nap time if she is showing interest in wanting it. Gl. This is how we did our son too and it worked really well.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• just don't give it to her except for those times...i have an 18 mo. old that still uses one at nap time just to fall asleep then i take it out once he is asleep...but once you are ready to completely break her from it i heard that if you cut the nipple part off of it that they wouldn't be interested anymore..i haven't tried it yet but that is what i have been told by people...hopefully that will help
    LTLDEB

Answer by LTLDEB at 11:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We just took it away from Kaylee, and it was around that age too. She never even noticed it was gone. We started doing what you said and only giving it at nap time and bed time, and she does just fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If you're going to still give it to her for sleep time, it really shouldn't be hard. Just give her something kind of gummy to chew on. Keep them near her bed so you're not tempted to give it to her other times. But this is a good age to wean her entirely from it, IMO. If you need advice on this, I'm happy to recommend what we did that worked for both daughters right around 6 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Emily what did you do? I'm willing to listen to any advice you have :)
    Anonymous

• You could try this once she has no probs without it during the day.. and try night time before nap time. Make sure the bed routine is really consistent. Instead of going straight from nursing or bottle to bed (which made her want the binkie to keep herself soothed), wake her up a bit, read her a book, and then sing to her in the dark before putting her down. So she'll go down awake but somewhat tired. For our daughter, instead of crying, which is what she would have done if I had put her down there right after nursing, she'd just lie there awake talking to herself and then drift off. We threw the binkies away at that point. Lots of advantages... Learning to soothe herself to sleep at the start of the night led to her putting themselves back to sleep without your help, and with little or no crying, during the night. Sometimes I'll hear a little fuss, but I'll doze for a minute, wake up and realize she's stopped on her own.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009