How often do you visit your local library?

I see so many questions on here that have such easy answers that can be found in books (free) borrowed from the library. hundreds of cook books and magazines for ...I'm bored with the same old stuff, I need new recipes. And books about child raising and cleaning , decorating and travel.. Free video rentals, books on tape, childrens activities. I just went to ane that is a bit farther away but mauch larger than my small hoemtown one and I was amzed at the selection.. all there, just for you and me, for fre!! A very important comodity in these trying times! I can't wait to go back.

chefjen

Asked by chefjen at 11:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Handouts??? The last time I checked it was tax money that supports the local libraries. Oh yeah, I pay taxes. How incredibly stupid would I be to not make use of something I've already paid for. Miss annonymous I buy my own...do you pay for your own roads too? Do you refuse to drive on the roads that were paved using tax dollars? I don't suppose you would ever send your kids to public schools either. Have you ever walked into an airport? Look into the amount of tax money that goes into those. I'm sure you would never visit a museum either. Do you purchase your own DaVinci's??? What an A$$!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Honestly, I haven't been to a library since I was in college. If I want a book, I buy it and then pass it along to a friend. If I need information, I talk to friends or family or even our doctor. I use the internet a lot for information but you have to be careful about the website you are using. I think the library is a great resource. I just do not use it.  Our library here is really hard to get to and the parking is terrible.  I don't want to deal with the headache.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I try not to buy books and everytime I do I feel like I should have gone to the library. We haven't been alot the last couple of months, but I love to get novels there because I know I'm only going to read them 1 time. I do buy books that I want to keep like Beth Moore books...next time your there pick up a Jodi Picoult..I have really been enjoying her books!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My library sucks. It's so little, I had more books than they did, and donated many many movies and books to them. Now more people have realized the library's selection is awful, so they donated stuff too! But they do have three computers with internet lol, and will send away for other libraries books for us to borrow. I have heard bigger cities charge cash money to reserve books, or for out of town borrowers, is there any truth to this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• At least once a week. We homeschool, so the library is a biggie for us. In fact, we need to make a trip today.

They aren't like they used to be, either. Mine offers computer classes, has an extensive genealogical dept. and a MASSIVE online database accessible & free to anyone with a local library card. It has EVERYTHING --- foreign language courses, World Book encyclopedia online, free practice tests for everything imaginable, ..... the list goes on & on.

My favorite right now is Novelist. It provides a list of children's books with "education extenders" that you can build an entire lesson around. It will take a simple picture book and show you every step in extending that book into lessons in science, history, social studies, etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• About once a month. I check out several books at a time. When I homeschooled I was at the library every few days.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Im in a small town as well. If I ask them for a certain book or tape or video that they do not have on the shelves. They will borrow from another to get it. The bugdet cuts costs on the library. Our library is now only open 3 days a week due to the budget costs here.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 11:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• At least once a week. We go and get books for ourselves and dd, and sometimes a movie as well. I have thought about this myself as well though. Have people forgotten that there are things called books? It's just a sign of the times. Why go to the library and research the topic themselves when they can just type it into a search bar, or ask on a forum?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I prefer to buy my own book and whatever else I think I need. Last time I checked, I didn't need handouts
    Anonymous

• We go once a week. I read about 5 books a week so it isn't budget friendly to just keep buying them. My son goes through about 4 a week. He's 2.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009