have no idea wut to do-

my 20 month old will not eat! I offer him a variety of different foods but nothing! yesterday even though i sat him down to eat maybe 4 or 5 times the only thing that he seems to want to eat is crackers- it seems like all he lives off of is crackers and milk, juice and water- i even thought that maybe it was because he was drinking too much but then i cut his fluids down and still nothing- its gotten to the point where ive started giving him pediasure after he refuses to eat just so i know hes getting some nutrition in him- any ideas on ways to get him to eat? maybe recipe suggestions that ur kids love that maybe hell want to try- im taking him to the docs tomorrow for a check up but i wanted to hear some real life mom tested toddler approved ideas- thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask thedoc for ideas, sometimes there are medical reasons for not wanting to eat, such as acid reflux. Even having it as a baby can trigger memories as a toddler and make them not want to eat. Sometimes it is the texture. My dd will eat soft carrots, but not hard ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well... take what you know he will like and just add to that. Cracker... Lunchables for the meat and cheese, also spread paenut butter on the crackers, maybe a vegie spread, or even veggie crackers, cheese spread, or break up some veggies and serve it in the same bowl as the crackers. Good luck.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 11:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• kids are so funny when it comes to eating. They may not eat a food due to color, texture, amount. My son only eats chicken nuggets and pizza my other son only eats ketchup lol. Seriously this is very common issue. To feel better about it you can check with the doc to hear it there.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 11:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My DD is 2 and she's the same way. When I talked to WIC about giving her pediasure they told me I shouldn't because some kids... well, eventually, that's all they will want to drink. And they won't ever eat. Maybe try giving him vitamins. But when I had my DD weighed at WIC, they said she was fine, even though she doesn't eat much. And that a lot of kids go through a stage where they don't eat much.
    M0mMy_0f_2

Answer by M0mMy_0f_2 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Probably just a phase... All kids go through it. My DD (now 13) would do this then suddenly would want to eat anything not bolted down. Kids will not starve themselves so as long as he's getting fluids he will eat when ready... Keep offering different foods to him though.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009