Im seeing the doctor, should i ask them this ?

Im about a day short of being 38 weeks pregnant..My cervix is dialated, im almost 100% effaced, and wanted to know if they can strip my membranes...

I know it wont 100% put me into labor...Ive heard of MANY women who've needed them stripped more than once for any affect, ive heard that you can get them stripped and nothing happens for another week...

I would like to know if it is worth asking my doctor about stripping my membranes.

Please dont bash on me, im just asking if it is WORTH asking. (i dont want to ask if its not worth it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• oh im seeing the doctor today at 2:30pm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i dont think its worth it- u dont want to feel the pain of it only for it to not work- u should enjoy these last few weeks and try to relax- ur almost there mama! dont rush it! lol and good luck on which ever u decide!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• its gonna hurt?!?!?!??!?!?! i thought all they did was take two fingers and wipe the cervix!! thats what i read!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thats what they do, but the stretch it a bit too and it is quite uncomfortable, depending on how far dilated you are and how much he stretches it. I have had it done on 2 pregnancies and on one it hurt for just a few minutes and the other it hurt alot worse for a day or so. Neither time helped me go into labor either, just cramps. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The doctor stripped my on a Monday and my water broke on the following Friday but I dont think it was from him stripping my cervix
    Haileysmommy107

Answer by Haileysmommy107 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• well im almost 3cm dialated..in fact i might actually be 3cm dialated finally...so if im at that much dialation it shouldnt hurt so much right?

i have 19 tattoos and ive had them on very painful area's of my body..so i think ill survive the pain...

IS IT TOO EARLY TO EVEN ASK THOUGH?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was very uncomfortable with my last pregnancy and asked at 37 weeks. He said to wait a week. We did and I was still pregnant and dialated to 3. He did it then and I went into labor within the hour! It is worth asking if you feel like you are really done.
    kathrynmlise

Answer by kathrynmlise at 12:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• no..not too early..well, i guess it depends on the dr on whats to early..but i know that some drs will do it then
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009